how to choose color of wood putty?

Old 05-19-03, 10:24 AM
newbie3
Visiting Guest
Unhappy how to choose color of wood putty?

Okay...I've got quite a few questions..

Background: Hubby and I are refinishing 3/4" red oak hardwood floors in living and dining rooms. Carpet, nail boards, carpet pad, staples used for carpet pad are all up or sunk.

Carpet pad came up just fine but there was quite a bit of dust/sand/who knows what kind of dirt under the pad. Some of which stuck to what was either spills or animal urine stains that look to me like they took some of the stain out of the floor in those areas. I.E. the center portion of the area looks as thought there is no stain left in the wood whatsoever. I have been able to lightly sand w/a small piece of sand paper the dust/dirt that collected round and on these areas.

Now, is our next step to putty the wholes that were left around the perimeter and from some of the more stubbord staples throughout the room, and, if so, how do we pick a putty color that will match our floors when we don't even know what color the floor truly is?

Thanks in Advance - and more questions to come, I'm sure!
Diana

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-03, 03:42 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
As a pro we carry 25 different colrs and mixes of puttys. I would wait until you sand the floor before you fill the holes. Once the floor is sanded you can use a filler like woodwise red oak that takes stain well and does not shrink.

Phil

Old 05-20-03, 08:30 AM
newbie3
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for your help. We need all that we can get!