Checkerboard Hardwood Floor

Old 05-28-03, 01:09 PM
DanaT
Visiting Guest
Question Checkerboard Hardwood Floor

I have removed the carpet from my home that was built in 1956 to discover the original checkerboard hardwood floors are in great shape. As far as I can tell, all it needs is enough sanding to remove the old finish and then refinish. However, I am concerned about the sanding. If I use a drum sander, won’t this cause unsightly sanding marks in the pieces that are sanded across the grain? Is there a special sander for these floors?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

DanaT

Old 06-03-03, 02:48 PM
BobsRemodeling
Visiting Guest
Yes there are sanders made to do the job you need done. One is a 3DS fine finish sander, it has three round sanding discs mounted on the front. This machine will probably be hard to locate at a rental store. The other is an orbital sander, this machine uses it's weight and it vibrates the square sanding pads along the floor. This is usually is available for rent at a rental store. Then a buffer could be used as well. Ask your nearest rental store and they can help you as well with instructions and recomendations.

Good Luck!

Bob

www.xxxx.com

Last edited by Forums; 10-16-04 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Advertising his web site
Old 06-04-03, 04:02 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
We do many of these older floor and we sand them the way we sand parquet with three cuts. 2 at 45deg and one with. Goto www.finishingwoodfloors.com for full inst. on parquet sanding

Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: