Dog slobber spots on wood floor

Old 06-01-03, 07:04 AM
djarboe
Visiting Guest
Question Dog slobber spots on wood floor

Our wood floor was new with the house, about 2.5 years old. Our two labs drip saliva on the floor occasionally. While we try to catch these right away, we can't get 100% all the time.

My wife "cleans" the floor with Orange Glo, or similar, which leaves a gloss coating. We have found that the dog slobber spots do not "clean" well, and consequently, leave a non-shiny spot. These are not urine spots.

Regular water drips do not seem to give this problem. The plain water drop leaves a white spot, which soon disappears. Apparently there is some strange surface chemistry with the dog slobber.

We have tried mopping with water, vinegar and water, etc., but nothing seems to work. Perhaps water with baking soda?

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these spots - which are increasing in number? For that matter, any way to prevent them?

(BTW, getting rid of the dogs is not an option. )

Old 06-01-03, 07:38 AM
DIMMike
Visiting Guest
You,ve made chemical soup

Floor+finish+slobber(digestive fluids with acids and enzymes)
+Orange g(with a soup of its own, including that nice smeeling acid from the orange)+vinegar+water+who knows what else.
Now you want to try some more chemicals.

It is a fairly normal process of a patch for a patch for a patch for a patch for a pactch......
Patches, should correct the initial problem, not the problem of patch #5.
The pros will be in to address your problem, but I suspect the way to cure the problem is to screen and coat so you are back to the initial state of wood and finish.

You probably need the pros help and a COMPLETE list of what has been applied, so they can tell you how it will affect the adhesion of any new coating. Some of the items you mentioned will penetrate and go into the wood, and affect the new finish.
Once the floor is back to an initial state, then find from the finish manufacturer the correct way to clean the slobber off the new surface.

Old 06-02-03, 03:43 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Is this a pre finished floor or a site finished floor. In either case stop useing the orange glo it contains wax (white spots from water) Also when you are in your sock feet the floor will likely feel sticky. Depending on how long you have used the cleaner you may be in need of a sand and finish. Maintenence is the key with any new or old floor that has been finished.Did the bulder leave you an instruction sheet for cleaning and care of the floor? Most do not and this is the result. You never wax a ureathane or waterbased floor. It leads to the symptoms you are talking about.

Phil

Old 06-03-03, 05:54 AM
djarboe
Visiting Guest
The floor was finished on-site. Also, you are correct - we did not get any information on the care and feeding of the floor.

So, is there a way to strip the wax off and properly clean the initial finish?? The thought of sanding and refinishing the floor, which is almost the entire first level of the house, is not really appealing. (Probably a lost cause, but I had to ask.)

Old 06-04-03, 03:51 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
With out being able to see the floor i cannot offer much help. Call a local flooring company and have them come out to look at it and make suggestions. Being that it is a newer floor you MAY be able to get away with a screen and coat. Let me know how it goes.

Phil

Old 08-14-03, 03:48 PM
djarboe
Visiting Guest
Just wanted to get back with the outcome. We decided we had nothing to lose, and tried cleaning the floor with Windex. This worked perfectly! It was a real chore on hands and knees with a washcloth, but well worth it.

The "wax" or whatever that stuff really is, came up completely, with no apparent adverse effects. Now, the slobber spots wipe up with no residual spots.

I think we dodged the bullet on this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: