Floor Sander - Vibrating or Drum?

Old 06-12-03, 01:08 PM
kojjohns
Visiting Guest
Question Floor Sander - Vibrating or Drum?

I've bought a house with hardwood floors that I'm going to refinish before moving in (Aprox 700 sq ft). I have refinished a home once before but I had some problems with the notorious "chatter" marks of a rental drum sander.

I've been researching the use of a large vibrating floor sander because it would hopefully be more forgiving. I have read 3 negatives to this type of sander (1) Dust Collection (2) Slow Speed (3 - Biggest Fear) Might leave circular sanding marks that really show up after poly application.

Has anyone had experience with a Vibrating Sander; Any advice as to which would be better for a Novice Experience Level?

Do the drawbacks of a Vibrating Sander outweigh the risk of a rental Drum Sander?

Old 06-13-03, 05:11 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
1. The square buff or trio you are reffering to is not good for complete removal of finish to bare wood . You will go broke from paper use.

2. Proper adjustment of the drum along with paper tension will reduce chatter. Chatter can be created in two ways. Drum out of alignment. Vibration of floor itself while sanding. Loosening of the paper on the drum will reduce chatter but i would not recomend it for a novice because of belt blow outs.

3. Screening with the same grit you finished with the drum will help eleaviate the chatter marks as well as blending between edger and drum lines.

Phil

Old 06-15-03, 09:48 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I read somewhere where a pro said his best sanding man could not do a good job with most of the rental units available.

I never done the sanding, but I recommend you ask for the top of the line belt drum sander (I believe it's German). I think it uses a large belt of sandpaper instead of a circular drum thus reducing chatter. Requires 220 volts.

Of course take my advice with a grain of salt since I am not a pro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: