Armstrong has no transition strip!

Old 07-03-03, 01:44 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Armstrong has no transition strip!

I really don't believe this, but it's true!

I bought Armstrong Swiftlock for two bedrooms. I bought just the boards and figured that I would determine the type of transition later (ie. reducer strip, baby threshold or t-molding) depending on the height of the floor compared to the hallway.

Nothing has been installed yet but I wanted to see how high the bedroom floor was compared to the hallway floor. The laminate floor plus the padding is about 1/8 of an inch shorter than the ceramic tile in the hallway. I called Armstrong and they tell me that it is a rare situation to go from a laminate (my bedroom) floor to a higher floor (the hallway). The kicker is that they do not make a transition piece for this situation!!!
They only have transitions pieces for a higher laminate floor to a lower floor.

Can anyone give me some suggestion about getting/making a transition piece?

Thanks for your help/advice.

Old 07-03-03, 06:36 PM
Cedwin
Visiting Guest
T-Moulding should work unless I am missing something. You will need a space between the swiftlock and the ceramic to fasten the moulding and for expansion. I am not sure if Armstrong moulding use a metal track or glues down.

Old 07-03-03, 07:13 PM
Are you sure you called Armstrong?

"T" molding is the way to go.

Old 07-04-03, 07:53 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
the problem with the t-mold is that when you 2 sufaces that are different heighths then the molding will not sit flat and there will be a crack along the flooring that is higher.they make what is calles a variable threshold that is perfect for this,it has a lip that sits on the higher floor and reduces down to the other it sits flat and the crack is kept to a minimum

Old 07-04-03, 10:41 PM
F
Yes, I am sure that it was Armstrong that I had called. I double checked the number on their website. I will call them again to see if I get a different answer from another person.

Old 07-05-03, 08:24 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i put in some coastal woodlands last week that did not have the proper transitions either we had to cut luan to shim up the baby threshold[variable] to get the right heighth,so i believe you that you could'nt get the right stuff,keep looking though you can find something that will work, maybe with a little modification

Old 07-06-03, 03:39 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Belive it or not we ran into the same problem and i ended up useing the 4 in one transition piece available from pergo. the color matched Had to do allot of picking through to get the right grain but it worked.

Phil

Old 07-08-03, 11:55 AM
neflamingo
Visiting Guest
Could you just build up the bedroom floor the 1/8 of an inch?

Old 07-08-03, 08:23 PM
F
I went back to Lowe's and decided to buy the Quiet Walk underlayment which is thicker than the 2in1. It seems that this underlayment will be more soundproof. Just my opinion. Anyway, I just tested it and the floor is even with the tile floor in the hallway. What a relief. So I will order the T-moulding for that room.

This brings me to another concern about the second bedroom but I will open another thread for that question.

Thanks for the generous help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: