hardwood floor on concrete

Old 07-15-03, 10:57 AM
newfamily7
Visiting Guest
hardwood floor on concrete

I want to install 3/4 inch maple tongue and groove flooring on my garage floor which of course is concrete. How would you do this? I thought about laying 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch plywood on some kind of vapor barrier but I think the nails for the nailer are 2 inches long. How does this work? How do I anchor the plywood to the concrete? Is glue a better idea? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-15-03, 04:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Putting full sheets of plywood over concrete, even with a moisture barrier, isn't recommended.

Cut the sheets up (1'6" x 4')and stagger the joints. Over a poly and felt moisture barrier, leaving a perimeter expansion.

No anchoring needed. Loose lay them with tight joints.

Now use 1½" staples or cleats and fasten the finished flooring to the floating sleepers.

*The concrete subfloor needs to be FLAT!!*
Pull a string line across the floor in all directions.

1/8" in 6' would be spec. No low or high spots greater!!

Old 07-15-03, 11:21 PM
newfamily7
Visiting Guest
I would have never figured that one out. It sounds so logical to cut the plywood in narrower widths to allow for the movement that will happen when we're walking on it. This website with people like you on it is the real value of this world. Thanks for the prompt and experienced reply. I feel like I just received a priceless present, knowledge to light my way. Thanks so much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: