Laminate Flooring

Old 07-17-03, 08:56 AM
Citymouse
Visiting Guest
Question Laminate Flooring

We are laying laminate on our entire main floor; small foyer, a hallway which has a number of twists and turns leading to a kitchen in the back. This foyer also opens to a small living room (fireplace cut into the corner) which leads to an adjoining dining room and then the other side of the kitchen. Total square feet(not including kitchen) is about 375 sq ft. I realize I cannot flow the entire floor without breaks so I plan to install transitions at the two openings in the kitchen , one at the hall and the other at the dining room. I don't want any transition pieces from the hall to the living room nor anywhere down the hall with these twists and turns. My question is, how do you compensate with all these corners and turns so you don't have any boards less then two inches wide?

Old 07-24-03, 02:18 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Citymouse

I am in the process of doing two bedrooms and I thought of the same thing. These are my thoughts. Remember that I am not a pro, only a DIYer (for the first time too).

You must calculate the width of the last row of boards wherever the floor reaches any wall or the width of the board that involves a door jam. Like you say, the last board can't be less than 2 inches along the wall. Also, I thought that it would not be good to cut a big 'U' out of a board for the door jam and have only like a 1 inch portion at the bottom of the 'U'.

You need to make lots of measurements and calculations to determine the cuts that you will have to make and see how wide the boards will be. DON'T FORGET THE 1/4 INCH GAPS IN YOUR CALCUATIONS!
Adjusting the first row may fix your problem.
Make calculations for laying the floor in different directions if you have that option.
The other option is to strategically place transitions.

Ex. for my simple bedroom with a walk-in closet, I had to figure out the width of the row of boards along the bedroom wall going into the closet AND the width of the last row in the back of the closet. It worked out for me. But if one of those rows were less that two inches and I couldn't fix it by adjusting the first row, I guess I would end up putting a transition in the closet door.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: