3/8" Mirage Products and Subfloor

Old 07-24-03, 09:21 AM
Mkuriawa
Visiting Guest
3/8" Mirage Products and Subfloor

I posted a while back about purchasing the 3/8" Mirage flooring for our newly expanded home, got some great feedback and I plan on making the purchase soon. One thing that concerns me is we had to add new subflooring in the living room to match up the floors, on the old T & G (3/4") side we put down 3/8" plywood with subfloor glue and screws to line up with the new flooring on the addition. I have read that normally the Mirage product should be put down with 1 1/4 staples, the 3/8 " floor seems flimsy and it starting to show a little bulge here and there from moisture already, will putting the Mirage over the top take care of this? Am I asking for trouble? The living room is 22 X 22 so it will not be cheap to purchase the flooring, last thing I need is to put it down and have it turn into a disaster because of the subfloor. I figured with the staples they arelong enough to go through the 3/8 and into the old 3/4 " T & G below to allow for a good hold.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 07-24-03, 03:32 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
If I am understanding you correctly you put down 3/8 plywood as a subfloor. That will not do. There will be way to much flex in that sub floor for any flooring. I assume your joists are 16 in on center. The correct way for the addition to be tied in would be to install your new joists at the same height as the old and lay down 3/4 in plywood then your new flooring on top of that. Before you make an investment of that amount on the new floor take care of that 3/8 plywood. As far as installation a one inch staple will be fine even if you go with a 1 1/4 in staple it will still not even come threw the 3/4 in plywood because it is fired at a 45 dg angle.

Phil

Old 07-24-03, 06:24 PM
Mkuriawa
Visiting Guest
Phil,

I think you misunderstood, the new part of the house was slightly higher than the oriiginal 3/4 " T & G flooring in the old part of the house. I measured it out and the old floor was 3/8" lower than the new, we put down 3/8 " plywood with glue and screws to mate the 2 surfaces. The floor in my new addition is 3/4" plywood but considering how old the house was they could not get the floors to align just right. So I would be installing the Mirage product over 3/8" plywood which is glued and screwed into the original 3/4" T & G plywood, would this work? And yes the original floor is 16 " on center and I screwed into the beams with 2 " inch screws through the 3/8" and T& G floor whenever I could.

Thanks for the quick response, hopefully we did not mess up too bad - I look forward to hearing your next reply.

Mike.

Old 07-26-03, 02:25 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Yes you can install the mirage. You have a good sunfloor down. Make sure your starter row is square and have at it. You will not have to glue it. Use a senco or bostich flooring stapler. They fire a 1 in 19 or 18 gage staple that holds very well.

Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: