Sanding Hardwood Floors

Old 07-25-03, 06:18 AM
jwallys
Visiting Guest
Sanding Hardwood Floors

When sanding hardwood floors on the first coat with the rough sand paper, do I want to go with the grain, or do I want to go with a diagonal pattern, and wait for the fine sanding to go with the grain. I have read a couple of different ways to do it and was curious on other opinions. Thanks.

Old 07-25-03, 02:26 PM
mike the canuck
Visiting Guest
wood floor sanding

hello,
My wife and I sanded our entire home floor( all fir)...I think it really depends on what type of sander you are using...If it is the square type vibrating model then it should not matter to much
(we went in all directions on the floor with this type of sander and had good results with no visible grain distortion)

If you are using a spinning drum type, it is very important to keep moving along the floor in line with the grain or you may end up with deep channels on the floor due to going to slow and remaing in one spot for too long...

We also found it useful to clean up all sanding dust after each paper grade change so we could clearly see the floor and notice any spots that may need extra attention...

ps: we needed to use both types of sanders due to some heavy glue residue in places...I would advise one to use the square vibrating type of sander( it does take longer but there is a much smaller rom for error)
best of luck and hope this helps
Regards, Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: