Forgot the expansion gaps. What now?

Old 07-25-03, 11:27 AM
perdidoson
Visiting Guest
Forgot the expansion gaps. What now?

I just installed a new underlayment of 1/4" plywood over a solid subfloor. Screwed it down, used leveler over the seams and screwheads. The next day, my underlayment is buckling in some spots. I researched underlayment further and discovered I was supposed to leave 1/4" gaps at the baseboards and 1/16" gaps at the seams to allow for expansion and contraction of the wood.

What do I do now???

I could certainly put down more screws and the buckling spots will pull down just fine, but will they just return in a different spot?

I read somewhere else that I should have screws every four inches in the middle of the sheets of underlayment. I did not use near that many, more like one every foot. Is it possilbe that I can go back and put more screws (every 4") without the buckling problem returning? Or, am I at the "rip it out and start over" point here?

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated!

Old 07-26-03, 04:45 AM
Cedwin
Visiting Guest
Screws, Nails, or Staples placed 12" apart will allow the underlayment to buckle.
I prefer staples rather than screws. I put them about every 4" each direction and about twice that amount on the joints.
You may be able to use more screws and pull the underlayment down.
The space between the sheets should not be a problem.
If you can remove the baseboard that will allow for expansion around the room.

Edwin

Old 07-26-03, 02:15 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
what are you installing over this?

Old 07-27-03, 03:04 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the underlayment is buckling due to expansion, set a skil saw for 1/4 in, and cut on the tight seam lines. (avoid the screws!)

It also helps to acclimate your underlayment for 24 hrs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: