Proper Laminate Installation

Old 08-12-03, 04:25 PM
jdwalls
Visiting Guest
Proper Laminate Installation

We are in the process of buying a new home built on a concrete slab. Shaw Laminate flooring was installed last week in the living room. We noticed that the installer did not bring the cartons of flooring the required 48 hours for acclimation but didn't say anything. When we walk on the floor we notice many low spots. It doesn't appear that the installer used any leveing compound or sanded any high spots. We think the floor looks terrible because we can see a lot of seams and some peaks. Since we are not experts we did not say anything to the builder yet because we don't know quite how to approach it. We are scheduled to go to settlement next week. My question is what should we say that gives us a sound basis for disatisfaction with the product. We are really afraid that our warranty won't be honored if something does happen because of installation. We have had a laminate floor before and we really love laminate. Can you give us any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-03, 07:28 PM
DIMMike
Visiting Guest
Some ideas

Have you had the home inspected?
It is always a good idea before closing and I do not know if there is time remaining.
At minimum I would talk to the builder before closing if there are issues or concerns.
I especially did not like the lack of acclimitization in a humid environment.
At minimum I would get a true 2x4 or measure and see how much out of level the floor is. If the end result is noticeably not in spec (you can find that in all likelihood on the web) the starting point was not.

Old 08-13-03, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the world of fast paced big time builders!!!

I can guaranty you those weren't the only specs not followed during your investment was built!!!

They try to build them as fast as they can. GREED fuels there short cuts and corners getting cut.

You have the specs. Just point to them and tell them the facts. The facts will always over rule the BS. I wonder if the slab was tested for moisture emissions prior to installation? Ask for the moisture test results.

Ever see what a cool glass of water condensate on the outside of the glass? Same with moisture barriers and cool slabs with too high of moisture emissions. Water will condensate on the top of the moisture barrier. Can you say swelled edges and gapped planks!!!

I wouldn't sign a thing until it is installed to the specifications!!!!