BellaWood Quality Issue

Old 08-14-03, 01:47 PM
Srawleigh
Visiting Guest
Angry BellaWood Quality Issue

Has anyone used Bellawood Prefinished HW Flooring. I had one of their recommended contractors install it about two weeks ago.

I have serious cracking or splitting of the boards. RIght now it is about 20 boards in a 300 sq ft. area. Is this normal?

I can understand a few cracked boards, but not 20. I am sure if I get on my hands and knees and look carefully I can find another 5-10. I am new to HW flooring, but this seems quite high. The VP of customer service is giving me the run around telling me that he will only repair the cracked boards.

This does not seem sufficient since I paid for their highest quality product Bellawood, 3 1/4 Red Oak Select and Better. My wife and I want the floor replaced, since we are concerned that we received a defective lot.

I purchased Bellawood for its advertised 50 year wear warranty. WIth three young children, I thought this would be beneficial.

Any feedback on your experience with Bellawood or a similar problem would be appreciated.

Old 08-15-03, 03:45 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Are there gaps between the boards or are the boards themselves split? If the boards themselves are split they should have been caught by the installer during installation. If they split after installation then i would have the floor inspected by a seperate inspecter to give you recomendations about how to proceed.

Phil

Old 08-15-03, 07:17 AM
Srawleigh
Visiting Guest
Bellawood Quality?

Definitely split after the installation. The problem seems to be growing. This morning I found another 6 boards.

Old 08-15-03, 05:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Formerly Husky floors. Wonder why the name change?
When the word got around about Husky, they had to change the name to begin selling hardwood again, because of their bad rep.

I bet it was cheap though. Easy on the pocket during the initial purchase.

Even though they will replace the boards, your going to have to pay the installer to replace them!!!

I bet that floor ends up costing you triple what a quality flooring would have cost, by the time it is said and done. Then you spend more to completely replace it!!!

Ya, you saved money!!

Old 08-15-03, 06:22 PM
H
When the word got around about Husky, they had to change the name to begin selling hardwood again, because of their bad rep.
Perry:

It had to do with a copyright thing in Canada.... Lumber Liquidators(LL) could not use the name any longer. Hence, Bellawood.

When I hear cracked I'm thinking it had a high moisture content when installed and has dried since causing the cracking. Considering what I discovered with a local LL I'd be leary of dealing with them but it could be an isloated case.

On two seperate ocassions while I visited their location, there was material that had just been shipped in. It was soaked! The stuff is transported by way of flat bed trailers and apparently they're having trouble getting the point across to whoever...protect it!

Old 08-15-03, 08:06 PM
Srawleigh
Visiting Guest
Perry,

I would not call it cheap. The product was more expensive Bruce but less than Mirage and Endure. I had the HW in my house for a week before the install, which should have provided plenty of time to adjust to any humidity differences.

The way I see it, every company has bad material lots. Good companies back up their product with great customer service when something goes awry. Obviously, this is not happening here.

The offer has been made to replace the boards at no charge, but I do not want a bunch of "patch work" on my new floor. I want it replaced in its entirety. The only way I see this possibly happening is to spend money on a lawyer.

Has anyone experience this type of issue before? What would someone consider a normal number of boards that need to be replaced after the install?

Old 08-16-03, 01:17 PM
H
Hmmm...Lumber Liquidators not taking care of problems? I've heard they are very responsive to complaints. It's not uncommon to have some boards replaced that may have been overlooked during the installation. Any good installer can replace without it looking like patchwork.

Let us know what develops.

Old 08-16-03, 02:24 PM
Srawleigh
Visiting Guest
Hardwood Guy,

Do you think it is unreasonable for me to ask for my floor to be replaced, considering I have about 25-30 boards that have split. Each day I seem to find more.

I feel that I bought a new product it should be new when they are finished. My neighbor just had a HW floor installed and they have had no replaced boards or splits after the installation. They used Bruce HW.

The installer did a good job replacing 4 boards - so good that you really have to look and know where to look to tell. I am worried that if I do not get a new floor that this problem will persist and then what do I do? ALso, repairing boards is not a good as the original tongue and groove installation - so I am worried about the long term implications.

Do you think what I am requesting (complete floor replacement) is unreasonable? If so, what would you suggest given the problem appears to be still growing.

Old 08-17-03, 03:38 AM
H
You could call in a hardwood flooring inspector.

Old 08-18-03, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Hardwood Guy

Perry:

It had to do with a copyright thing in Canada.... Lumber Liquidators(LL) could not use the name any longer. Hence, Bellawood.

Makes you wonder why they wanted the name changed?

Could it have been making the other guy look real bad. Dragging his name through the dirt with confusion?

Old 08-18-03, 06:05 PM
H
The stuff isn't that bad, although I've had installer complaints that deal with slightly different widths(1/8"-) that will show noticeable gapping.

Ken Fisher

Old 08-18-03, 08:04 PM
Srawleigh
Visiting Guest
LL has finally agreed to send someone to look at the floor, but I am sure that they will not be neutral regarding replacement.

I have found in excess of 30 boards as of today that have split.

I would like to know if anyone thinks i am being reasonable or unreasonable about the whole situation and asking for the floor to be replaced.

Old 12-05-09, 08:01 PM
W
Bellawood cracks

how long did the contractor let it sit in the house. LL recommends 5-7 days to acclimate.

Old 12-05-09, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Upvotes on 213 Posts
Dude, this is a 6+ year old thread.......

Old 12-07-09, 09:30 AM
H
I'd like to see if more comments come up with Bellawood quality. I haven't been in touch lately on it.

Acclimation isn't a time thing. It has more to do with your environment and the amount of moisture present. In other words, if the humidity was 80% in your home during those 5-7 days, it's likely to gain moisture you don't want if the average humidity levels rear round are lower.

That's why there are often complaints from new floor owners that have solid hardwoods installed in humid warmer months (with no attention to what's going on) and wonder why they gap so much in the winter after the home has been heated for an extended period of time. Heat dries out the flooring causing contraction or gapped floors, unless some humidification control is used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: