Estimated savings of site-finished vs pre-finished materials cost?

Old 08-16-03, 04:00 PM
jbong
Visiting Guest
Question Estimated savings of site-finished vs pre-finished materials cost?

I'm researching my options for installing HW floor myself, whether to use pre-finished or site-finished HW. I've researched enough to know that I'd prefer a site-finished HW, but also aware of the inconvenience and labor that comes with the finishing step.

The deal breaker is probably the difference in the cost of the materials. That is, if the savings is big enough, I'll probably go for site-finished.

So, anybody have a rough %cost savings of site-finished over pre-finished HW (materials only)?

Old 08-16-03, 08:01 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not to avoid your question or anything but I think you have to be the one to find the price difference. You are in California while mostly everyone here live everywhere in the U.S. and the world for that matter. Prices will vary for products a bit. You have already decided to install it yourself (excellent choice by the way ) so that takes the whole price of installation out of the equation. Now you need to decide on the wood and finish you are looking for. After you figure it out call localy for prices of finished products. Then call around for unfinished and the amount for rental equipment, stain, poly and aplicators and compare the price. Prefinished will be more expensive probably but you will have the gratification of having a complete floor when you are finished laying it down plus a good waranty on the finish. I like the unfinished because I refinish floors on the side and like to have that certain amount of "control" on what it will look like.
I know this didn't help one bit probably but you took care of the difficult part of the financial equation when you decided to DIY it. Now you just need to find out the wood and look you want and price localy. The reason why I say buy localy is because if/when you have a problem it is sooooooo much easier to deal with someone near you than with someone 2735 miles away that you found online. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-16-03, 09:06 PM
DIMMike
Visiting Guest
IMHO

It depends on your skill set.
Based on the things I know how to do well, the installing of the floor is all skills I know how to do and have done before, but sanding and finishing the stuff is not a skill I feel I could approach a professional outcome.
If your skill set is different you reach a different conclusion.

If cost dictated unfinshed for me, I personally would do the install THEN have a pro do the finish (and not the splash and dash type finisher). I just installed a prefinished and it looks great.

To me the right prefinished is so close to site finished it is not worth the extra hassle of unfinished on a DIY job....Just to me. BTW both are excellent choices with the right materials.

The other aspect is whether you can have the right control over the atmosphere to do a coating job. By that I mean being in a good condition for things to cure without needing just one thing from the other side of the field. With a pro finisher he says when it is okay for traffic. There are no iron rules other than to always, ALWAYS follow the manufacurers instructions to the letter and do not try to use a shortcut.

To me installing is applying a skill but finish is an art.

Old 08-16-03, 10:13 PM
jbong
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. This forum is really great!

Like Evan M. said, eventually I will have to do the calculation myself, based on the materials I've selected. As I'm typing this, I'm realizing my question is a bit silly, because there really are numerous factors. But I'm just wondering if there is a rule of thumb calculation if the species, quality and dimension of the planks are the same and if the labor cost is taken out of the equation.

One other thing: all the HW retailers I've visited so far appear to only sell prefinished, though when asked they say they can order unfinish for me. With their prefinish display, I can easily compare different species/quality/finish/manufacturer prices, but I do not have readily available price listing with unfinished to compare with. I'm soon going to check other stores from neighboring cities, maybe I'll see better selection. Also, soon I will have my choice of specie/quality/dimension so the research should be easier.

As for my skillset, I admittedly do not have the experience but I'm comfortable working with tools. Most importantly, I have one good thing going for me -- time. I can have all the time I want for the project. Our house is currently empty, no major dining and living room furnitures yet. So I it really is an ideal for a DIY.

Anyways, I will be posting many more questions, and based on the responses so far, I think I've found my main forum for this project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: