Does any one have any answers to my questions? Thanks for your help!

Old 09-14-03, 12:51 AM
spoony
Visiting Guest
Question Does any one have any answers to my questions? Thanks for your help!

Hello,
I have an older home that has some problems with the floor; it is very wavy and uneven. My intentions are to get the floor completely level so I can install some character grade quarter sawn oak 3" and 4" plank.
The home sits on post and pier with cinder block foundation. The foundation is level and square. The floor has 24" joist with post every 8'. The problem is it has settled quite badly and they did a bad job of supporting the post. It drops and takes several changes in level direction. The current sub floor is 3/4"X3" fir tong and groove with 1/4" plywood on top of the fir T&G.
My plan is to level all the post and install correct pier support. I also plan to install new post between the old ones, making them ever 4’. Remove the ¼” plywood and replace it with 3/4" T&G plywood.
I believe when I'm done there will still be some slight low spots in the fir T&G due to warp, age and the years it has spent out of level, but I believe I can get it pretty darn close.
Before I install the 3/4" plywood I am thinking of using self-leveling compound to bring up any low spots in the fir making it perfectly level before installing the plywood. Is this a good plan and what is the best self-leveling compound to use? I am getting mixed information at the local hardware store. I believe no one there has experience with what I'm trying to accomplish, nor do I. Which direction would you suggest laying the plywood and does there need to be gaps around the walls for the plywood? Should I screw the plywood down or is nailing it fine?
I thank everyone ahead of time for their responses and ask if any one has any ideas, suggestions or better ideas regarding my post to please leave them.

Regards,

Spoony

P.S. This is a long over due project my wife, she just doesn't like the 70s carpet the way I do, won't let me put off any longer.

Old 09-14-03, 11:08 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I would be very carefull using a lot of self leveling on an old wooden subfloor. It is going to absorb a lot of water and take a long time to dry. As the subfloor absorbs water it will expand and warp. As it dries the leveling compound will crack and be out of level again. If you are going to put this level of effort in, I would remove the subfloor, sister the joists and make the sisters level, then out down a new subfloor (maybe use the okd wood if it is in good condition). You can sister with as little as a 2x4 since it is only transferring the load to the existing framing.

Old 09-15-03, 04:44 PM
spoony
Visiting Guest
Brickeyee,
Thanks for the info, that makes since. If I were able to get the floor level enough without removing the fir which way would you suggest laying the plywood? Would you suggest screwing it down or nailing it? I was thinking that nails could work lose while the screws would stay put.

Thanks again,

Spoony

Old 09-15-03, 06:59 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
screw it down with a drywall drill/driver. It is adjustable for depth of screw penetration and a good one (Porter Cable) has enough power to sink the screws flush.

Old 09-15-03, 11:03 PM
spoony
Visiting Guest
Talking Plywood

Brickeyee,

Can you please tell me which direction to lay the plywood? Should it be parallel with the floor joist?

Thanks Spoony

Old 09-16-03, 09:29 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
If you are laying over the fir it really does not matter. The stiffness is marginally better with the long side of the plywood perpendicular to the joists. More plies going the way you need them.

Old 09-16-03, 10:05 PM
spoony
Visiting Guest
brickeyee

Thanks again.

Old 09-26-03, 09:52 AM
PaulaDavis
Visiting Guest
a consideration

I am not an expert nor do I have any adult experience, but this is my story. My parents renovated their home in 1962. The tile man had just put tile on the bathroom walls when my dad came in talking about leveling the floor. The tile man said, "Whoa Buddy, you are gonna jack up those floors and all this tile is going to crack. Daddy put the jacks under the floor, which was easy cuz we had a basement, and every month or so, he went down and gave them a crank. Not one tile ever cracked. Don't know if it is relevant to your situation, but its a good floor story anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: