2 Laminate questions on the eve of installing it

Old 10-01-03, 01:37 PM
phantasy_orb
Visiting Guest
2 Laminate questions on the eve of installing it

Hi,
Last week I finally got my laminate flooring to lay down in the living room and all the stuff I need to aid in it.

not too bad, 255 sq foot and a nice rectangle room

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~XX~~
~....................................... H
~....................................... ~
~........................................~
XX...................................... ~
~........................................ H
~~SSSSSSS~~~~~~~~~~

I made this lame graph to aid in my 2 questions.

If you look at the graph above, the XX equals where in the
living room the FRONT and BACK doors leading outside.
HH equals the 2 entrances to the hall and SSSSSSS equals
the enterance to the dining room.

Ok, so my questions are these.

When I install the planks infront of the doors leading outside, I know I cut the doorjam, however do I also use a transition peice infront of the door since no wall molding is there? Can't see it just sitting with it's edge exposed.

Question #2, when I lay the peice that leads towards the dining room I have no wall there to place an expansion spacer, so do I glue my expansion peice down to the subfloor and use that as a guide or doesn't it really matter? The opening between the dining room and living room is about 9 feet and I am keeping the carpetting in the kitchen and purchased the proper transition peice, just want to make sure I have these right.

Any help someone can provide is greatly appreicated.

Thanks.
Jamie

Last edited by phantasy_orb; 10-01-03 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-01-03, 05:04 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Have you read and do you understand the manufacturers installation instructions? Do the instructions discuss transition moldings for the transition to the carpeted area? How about square nose moldings and reducer moldings? For the exterior doors you will need to under cut the thresholds. These are all common moldings available from reliable flooring dealers.

Old 10-01-03, 06:08 PM
eJM
Visiting Guest
Jamie,

Most of the thresholds I deal with are metal, so there's no undercutting them. I use a square nose trim piece there. Make sure there is a proper expansion space for the laminate and then attach the trim according to the directions.

I assume you meant the carpet would stay in the dining area, not the livingroom. You will be using a square edge trim there too. Trims are attached after the laminate.

1. Pull the edge of the carpet back and remove the tackless and any nails or staples.

2. Mark the floor where you want the transition to be (make sure you have enough carpet to get to that point).

3. Figure the distance you need to allow so the laminate has an expansion space under the trim after it's attached.

4. Lay the laminate.

5. Put the trim on according to the directions.

6. Put a new piece of tackless along the edge of the trim, leaving a small gap to tuck the carpet into.

7. Trim the pad right to the tackless and staple or glue it down.

8. Stretch the carpet up to and over the tackless (keep the teeth of the tool just behind the tackless) and hold it in place by pressing it down onto the pins.

9. Trim the carpet slightly heavy and tuck the edge into the gully between the tackless and the trim.

As Fred suggested, read and understand the directions that came with the product. Enjoy your new floor.

Old 10-01-03, 08:44 PM
phantasy_orb
Visiting Guest
Hi,
Thanks for the response.

I did read through the instructions from the manufactor. Actually, over the past few months I have read the instructions for about a dozen different brands just so I knew where each one was coming from.

I was just concerned because in all of them and in all of the different pieces online I have not found a diffinative installation over laminate as dealing with doors leading outside. I found plenty of info on transition to doors on the interior but not with outside. Was just concerned because of the weather elements that or on the outside of the door and didn't know if you were suppose to error on the side of caution with it.

Anyway, I appreciate the info, hopefully it will work all work out fine. I have gathered info and insight on this for a few months so I am sure it will be fine.

Old 10-03-03, 03:40 PM
phantasy_orb
Visiting Guest
Well, it took 2 days, about 19 hours total to do my living room
and even though I still have a small 9x9 area at the bottom of my stairs I thought I'd post something, since the main portion is done.

I started looking at the laminate floor samples and instructions about 6 months ago, so I knew atleast what to expect. I installed kronotex which is a little cheaper but that is ok since I had to get the horrible carpetting out! So, for about $750 I was able to do the living room.

Now, having read the instructions for all the different brands and having all the supplies, I did find myself still lost for the first 2 hours. Why? Well, basically because I follwed the companies instructions.

Their instructiions said to remove the tongues of the first row so it sits properly against the wall. So, I did. I wasted 3 and a half planks, nearly an entire box. For 2 hours I tried to put the 2nd row on and i'd move the left side and the right side would pop out. I'd tap that side in and the other would pop out.
I then tried to start on the other wall and then finally the other direction. Frusterated, I took a 15 minute cooling down break and then figured I'd would break out 3 new pieces and, with the tongue, try them. This worked 100% better and I was off.

Only a feel problems, and I mention them incase someone reading this is about to embark on trying it for the first time.

1. Make sure you measure the last peice of each row consistantly, I spent 2 hours this afternoon cutting planks already installed so that the trim would sit "nice" on it.

2. Watch your edges. When you slide your edges together they
can sometimes break. I had about 6 corners chip and luckily all but 2 are hidden beneath the couch or another item. I will have to buy the laminate sealer. I do have perimeter sealant. Anyone reading this know if that is the same? No biggie... already about $750 in so another$6 for a tube is not going to matter. I was going to buy it when I got the otehr stuff however I assumed that I was above it (chipping any that is) In any event, it is down. My cats love it. It was funny to watch them racing on it and try to slide.

Funny side note, I cut about 35 planks and luckily still have all 10 fingers, however when I was cutting my transition (which I got this alunimum type because it felt sturdy enough for botht he laminate and carpetting in the dining room I burned my finger on the transistion after it got down. Who hurts themselves on a circular saw by burning and not cutting themselves? I guess me.

Last side note and one that still perplexes me. The square foot for the room is 255 and I got 3 rolls of moisture barrier (all 100 sq foot each) and I just barelyu had enough barrier left when I finished. I think maybe I had 7-8 inches on the roll. Weird!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: