Luan Underlayment Question

Old 10-22-03, 06:53 AM
danj
Visiting Guest
Luan Underlayment Question

We're redoing our kitchen, and I'm getting ready to put 1/4" luan underlayment on top of 3/4" plywood subflooring. I plan on stapling the underlayment to the subfloor. How far apart should the staples be? Should the staples just go around the perimeter of each sheet, or should they be placed in the middle too?

Obviously, I've never laid underlayment before.

Old 10-22-03, 05:51 PM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
Luan is unsuitable as an underlayment for 95% of the floors out there. What are you installing over it?

Old 10-23-03, 06:36 AM
danj
Visiting Guest
We're planning on putting Congoleum DuraStone HPF tiles down. They appear to be a lot like VCT. I know you typically don't put vinyl over luan, but my understanding is that luan is an acceptable underlayment for DuraStone.

Old 10-23-03, 03:04 PM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
Oh No! Not Durastone!

I bet you got a really really good deal on it. I thought that junk was all off the market by now. If you have already purchased it take it back!

Do a google seach on "Congoleum durastone problem" and watch all the hits.

The stuff is a nightmare to work with, glue is crap, corners peel up, edges separate....it goes on and on and Congoleum does not stand behind the product. Always pointing the finger at the installer ot homeowner.

As a professional installation contractor I refuse to even deal with it and had all my reatilers throw the samples out the door.

Go with Nafco's Permastone product, or Metrofloor,by all means, don't use the durastone, especilly for a DIYer.

Its destined to fail, and it most certainly will over a luan underlayment.

Use 1/4 inch outdoor rated plywood, and take the durastone back where you bought it. You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-24-03, 06:32 AM
danj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advise, Lisa. We haven't bought the tile yet. I'll do some more research. We're planning on having the floor installed professionally.

More questions:

What, specifically, is the problem with luan?

Why is the Nafco or Metroflor product better than Durastone HPF?

Old 10-24-03, 09:55 AM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
What, specifically, is the problem with luan?

Luan has oils in it that migrate up through and discolor the floor. Its also too thin and wimpy to properly hold a nail or staple and have any hope of lasting for any length of time. Nails and staples like to pop back out and make bumps in your new floor. You're spending a lot of money on the new floor, at least give it a decent subfloor.

If your hiring a pro to install the floor let him install the plywood subfloor and float it out the way he wants. As a rule we always end up with a do over because the DIY never gets the subfloor up to our standards. If a consumer insists on installing his own subfloor, I have them sign off my warranty if they don't do it right and they end up paying me to do it anyway.

This is all just my opinion in case anyone at Congo wants to sue me...
its just an opinion OK?

As for the Durastone, I don't know exactly what the problem was, but its a serious design flaw that Congo was in denial for a long time, pointing fingers at everyone but themselves. First they reformulated the adhesive and when that didn't work they are now marketing a simular product under another name. Dura something else now"
In my opinion......
the product is crap and Congo does not stand behind it.

I have have very good luck (that is ZERO problems) with thousands upon thousands of sq ft of Nafco we have installed in the past ten yeasr or so. None, nada, zero. I have little expeience with Metrofloor, but have had no problems with it either.

FWIW Make sure your so called "professional" installer has some sort of certification or formal training in resilient flooring products and can prove it, besides "I've been doing this thirty years and I know everything" Get refernces and a resume, photos of previous jobs etc. This person is has YOUR substantial investment in his hands and could if he doesn't kn ow what he's doing turn it into landfill.

Good luck

Old 10-24-03, 10:00 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
I have had no problems with Durastone, but I cannot ignore the complaints I have read about. You can find lots of complaints on all floors if you search the internet long enough, on Pergo, Home Depot, Carpet vapors, ect, ect....
But the concerns on Durastone are all over the place! I know sometimes if you do enough investigating, it can sometimes come down to installation, or a misinformed consumer, but I have a bad feeling about Durastone, and I wont sell a bit more of it untill the rep proves to me that there is no reason for concern, and issues he has run into with this floor have been resolved. Untill that happens..I am going with Metrofloor and Amtico.

Old 10-24-03, 11:04 AM
Cedwin
Visiting Guest
I do not use luan for underlayment. I have not installed much Durastone. Problems have been few.
Your question was about stapling underlayment.
All 1/4" underlayment I staple about 4" each direction throught out the sheet and 2" on the seams. I use 7/8" staples. I get the seams snug (not tight) and leave expansion around the edges of room. also undercut door trim.

Edwin

Old 10-24-03, 12:43 PM
danj
Visiting Guest
Good information. Thanks to everybody. We'll use 1/4" exterior grade ply for the subfloor instead of the luan. And after this discussion and lots of googling, we'll use something else besides Durastone. I appreciate everyone's advice, its been most helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: