Warped 4" Oak planks

Old 10-31-03, 02:47 PM
Kevhead
Visiting Guest
Warped 4" Oak planks

My neighbor installed 4" wide planks running IN the direction of the joists about a year ago. She is also on an unheated/cooled crawl space. The installer also spaced the nails about 24" apart, and used a kind of long staple instead of the usual Bostich floor nails.

I think the reason the planks are warped is because they are in the direction of the joists, and were not nailed with proper spacing. Her installer says it is because she is on a crawl space and the temperature swing and humidity did it.

Can anyone say for sure?

My building is the same type and I just finishe installing 5" planks .

Old 11-01-03, 01:57 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Wood changes dimension as it absorbs and releases moisture. Only the thinnest pieces can be restrained from moving by fastening them to something more solid. The thin layers in plywood restrain each other. 3/4 inch flooring moves no matter how it is fastened. Quality flooring will have been dried before cutting and shaping. Any furhter changes in moisture are usually small enough to change only the width of the board. Gaps open and close between the boards, and a few might thicken a very little bit (depends on gran direction). Acclimating the flooring for a few days before laying allows it to get closer to the final dimension before installing. If the humidty swings in the house are extreme the wood will move. If he wood was not aclimated before installation, that is an error by the installer. If the humidty swings are large you should take steps to reduce them.

Old 11-01-03, 02:54 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
This is a classic case. #1 the Moisture issue needed to be addressed before the floor was installed moisture test of the subfloor and the wood to be installed would have showed at that time. #2 Wood should always be installed across the joists for added strength and better stability with the heating and cooling season.. #3 The nailing schedule for a 4 in plank is every 6-8 in.

Both you and the installer are correct.
The wood has cupped because of moisture and a bad installation.

To remedy this 6 or 8 mil plastic needs to go down in the crawl space and the addition of a dehumidifier will reducethe amount of moisture in the crawl space. But i can almost gaurentee down the road there will be problems again with this floor because of the installation.

Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: