Refinishing my hardwoods

Old 11-04-03, 09:41 PM
fooyoung21
Visiting Guest
Question Refinishing my hardwoods

Hi

First time posting to this forum - thanks in advance for your assistance.

I've done my homework so I know what I must do. Part of it is shrouded in mystery right now (hardwoods under carpet). Im hoping they're in decent shape so I can simply putty, sand and finish.

My concern is this - it's November and colder than usual here in the Pacific NW. Any ideas how I can keep warm w/ adequate ventilation and my heat ducts sealed shut to keep the dust out. More importantly - when applying & drying the polyurethane, how do I keep it warm without blowing myself up?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I have grown attached to my skin and felt I should ask instead of learning the hard way.

Thanks,
Foo

Old 11-11-03, 10:18 AM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Are you doing multiple rooms? If so, do one room at a time, closing the door (if it's a bedroom). This way you can leave the ducts in the other rooms uncovered.

Sanding a single room shouldn't take more than a few hours if you use a large belt sander. Uncover the duct after sanding and you should have nothing to worry about.

I used a water-based polyurethane on my floors which dried extremely fast and had little odor. It was Minwax Water-Based Polyurethane for Floors. My local Sherwin-Williams store had to special order it. It was expensive, but well worth the cost.

I rented my belt sander from Home Depot. While there, I watched the 5-minute video they have which shows a person sanding their floor. It really helped to see it done, and I'd recommend watching it if you can.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: