"Floating floor are just plain and simple more comfy to walk on."

Old 11-05-03, 03:38 PM
Yike
Visiting Guest
"Floating floor are just plain and simple more comfy to walk on."

I read this the other day, and then further down the same thread, someone else said they disliked the floating feel, they preferred something else.

Can someone describe the difference in feel, between the different installation methods? I know it boils down to preference, and everyones is different ... but would like to hear some thoughts.

Old 11-05-03, 04:56 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
That was my quote, and its a little hard to discribe, but lets see..

A solid hardwood that is installed on wood subfloor has little give, but is more comfy then ceramic on concrete. A laminate or engineered hardwood that is floating has more give, some people dont notice it as much, but your bones and joints do. Thats why basketball courts and dance floors are typically floating floors.

Old 11-06-03, 05:59 AM
Texas wood
Visiting Guest
Depending on the type of floating floor, for example cheap laminate it will have a spongy feel. A floating floor will also generate noise at shoe molding, transition pieces, coffee tables the reason being it deflects when you walk on it. Go to a floor shop and look at a floating floor, when someone walks across you will see the floor deflect. Basketball courts are a far cry from a floating floor in you home, there is no comparison. In my opinion a properly installed glue down is the best for concrete applications.

Old 11-06-03, 08:26 AM
Yike
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the comment and opinions. MORE MORE!

Old 11-06-03, 09:53 AM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Floating floors are easy to install but that's the only good thing about then IMO. You generally don't find floating floors in high end installs. I did a floating floor in my first house and it was spongy as the person above said. Just my opinion, but I prefer a solid feel underfoot. Also, light reflects differently from all of the pieces because they are not perfectly flat thus giving a cheap appearance.

I don't think most DIY'ers can flatten a slab within the manufacturer's spec properly the first time. I did it once for plywood over slab so it didn't have to be perfect and it is not easy to get the edges feathered properly, you are working against the clock and mistakes are very difficult to fix. I would consider at least having this part professionally done to protect your warranty.

I recently saw a floating floor install on This Old House and the material cost alone was $10 sq ft. For $10 a sq ft, I would have a real wood floor put down that will last 200 years, is spill resistant and can be sanded/refinished several times.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: