Glue-down engineered on concrete slab: DIY project?

Old 11-06-03, 08:31 AM
Y
Yike
Visiting Guest
Glue-down engineered on concrete slab: DIY project?

I had some 4-inch plank glue-down all ready to buy when I ran across this forum. After reading a few of the "engineered glue-down to concrete slab is really not a DIY project" type threads, I'm half scared to give it a try. I'm a first-time home owner and I have not done a lot of DIY projects, although being a guy I like to think I can do these types of things.

I feel like if I take the time to do all the recommended steps (leveling the floor, mositure testing, PH, etc) it might be a lot of work, but I should be able to get the project done? I would like to do it myself, because we're looking to floor two other parts of the house eventually, and I would like to do those myself as well.

Comments, warnings, future I-told-you-so's welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-03, 11:29 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I guess the other question is how particular are you as far as gaps, warped boards etc. I see many professional installs that have these problems so a DIY'er, doing this the first time, will make some mistakes just about guaranteed. I'm not saying they will necessarily be serious mistakes - if you do your research you should be able to avoid catastrophic mistakes but the quality/fit/finish will not be as good as a good pro.

There are many aspects of floor install that can only be learned from experience no matter how much research you do.

Old 11-06-03, 02:15 PM
T
Texas wood
Visiting Guest
Yes you can do it yourself. The key to avoiding gaps consists of two things. A high end floor in which the boards are square, no dog legs. Bruce is well known for poor milled boards. This means you really have to force them together (get the dog leg out) and tape until the cement dries. Two, the first two or three rows are critical. If you have gaps in the first row or any rows you will gaps throughout the entire installation. Think about it, if you have a gap it just gets transferred from row to row.

Make sure your slab is flat, self leveling compound runs about $30 for a 50lb bag. Prime the area first with the $5 primer. If you are gluing and really want it perfect than rent an electric floor buffer with polishing stones to blend in the floated area with the surrounding. You will create a dust storm.

I strongly suggest you do yourself, paying special attention to the first 2 or 3 rows since this is the foundation you tap all remaining boards against. Allow the first 3 rows to dry prior to installing the rest of the floor. If necessary attache a straight 2x4 to the ground so you have something straight to hold the first row while you hit the second row against the first row.

Old 11-06-03, 07:56 PM
S
smapple
Visiting Guest
HAve you looked at engineered wood floors? See www.kahrs.com as an example. Easy to DIY, and good looking. New on the market.

Old 11-07-03, 02:05 PM
H
HRMaddie
Visiting Guest
Glue-Down

I just did one in my living room and can give you some tips and suggestions. Just don't have the time to do it now. Please email me at [email protected] - if you would like them

Old 11-07-03, 02:06 PM
H
HRMaddie
Visiting Guest
Underscore

you can't see it but there is an underscore between gun and maddie