HELP! diy hardwood floor refinish disaster

Old 11-17-03, 10:26 AM
BrittA
Visiting Guest
HELP! diy hardwood floor refinish disaster

In the process of re-finishing our hardwood floors (oak, 1950's house) we started with an oscelating sander, which was not taking up all the old finish. Switched to drum sander and then finished with oscelator.
Problem 1: The oscelator sander left small wave patters running perpendicular to the grain. We were told to continue using the oscelator and they would come out. After an all day effort they did not.
Problem 2: Our friend using the small circular sander for the edges and corners must have put all their weight on the sander, which left circular grooves in the hardwood that did not come out after many passes with the oscelator sander.
Question: Is it possible to fix this, or are we stuck with calling in the professionals (a hard pill to swallow because we are on a limited budget)?
Thank you.

Old 11-17-03, 10:29 AM
ClayB
Visiting Guest
I too and in the process of refinishing my hardwoods. Fortunately, my sanding came out really good. I would recommend renting the drum sander again and going over the entire area again with fine drum sandpaper. This should do the trick.

Old 11-19-03, 05:50 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sanding floors is one of those really difficult diy projects to do correctly the first time, I don't care what anyone says. If you have the swirl marks and deeper gouges than they will be noticeable after you put the poly on. I would do what the previous poster said and do it all over again with a finer grit paper. If all of the finish is off than I would use a 60 grit followed by an 80 and a 120 if you are up to it. If you do not want to do three passes than do the 80 than 120 and skip the 60. You should not have to add much pressure when using an edger. Edgers are quite heavy. The only thing you may have to do is angle it a little towards the baseboard to get in real tight. Other than that, if the floor is level, not moch more pressure or angling should be needed. After all of the sanding with the DRUM sander is finished (do not use the oscelator) than I would highly recommend going over everything with a floor buffer and screen to smooth it out and get rid of any small imperfections the drum may have missed. Best of luck to you. I know it is not easy but once it is finished the work you did will be well worth it!!

Old 11-21-03, 09:18 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not only have I had a professional refinish floors in two houses, but I have also ‘lightly refinished” after working in a various room of the house. The advice you are getting is sound. I would add that you should sand with the grain as much as possible. If some spots look odd/uneven, you may want to sand down the area with a fine paper to even out an area. I have smoothed out small areas of my hardwood floor with a hand block sander. It is slow and tedious, but works well for a very small area. It removes enough wood to finish and smooth out an area. It also gets into area that sanders do not. After each coat of polyurethane, go down to a lighter grain of sand paper. After the first sanding and coat of polyurethane, you are only roughing the surface for an additional coat of polyurethane. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: