Concrete Floor, want to put plywood subfloor on it before wood floor

Old 11-17-03, 02:37 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
Concrete Floor, want to put plywood subfloor on it before wood floor

Hi, I have a concrete floor.

I want to put a plywood subfloor on it before I put on my 3/8 inch thick hardwood floor. The hardwood floor will be a glue down, what thickness should the plywood floor be?

Also, how do i 'mesh' the carpet in my bedrooms with the new hardwood floor in the hall so that there is not a height disparity.

thanks
seth

Old 11-17-03, 04:19 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
you could probably mesh the carpet with a product called z-bar, found at any carpet store.
What product exactly are you going to glue down?

Old 11-17-03, 08:13 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
I plan on puting down Bellawood 3/8 inch plank Brazillian Koa

The reason that i'm puting down a plywood subfloor is because i'm going to put wires under the floor, i.e. through a gap in the plywood. I didn't want to rip up my dry wall to route the wires through the ceiling (I have radient heating up there and not exactly sure what would happen if i did it). My biggest concern is the thickness of the plywood. I don't want a big'ol difference between the carpet in the rooms and the floor. I think when they installed the carpet, they did put a zbar in. and its about 1/2 inch high...

seth

Old 11-18-03, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why not run your wires behind the baseboards, in the expansion gap and sheetrock. Most sheetrock doesn't go all the way to the concrete. If it does, sheetrock is easy to undercut to run your wires.

Plywood sheets on concrete can become unstable if it is too thin.

Old 11-18-03, 09:43 AM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
that is a great idea!!!

If I do that here is my other problem.
I have a place that looks like this

|             |
|             |
|             |

The East wall is where the wires start from,
the North wall is about a 9 foot wide window/sliding door
the West wall is where i want the wires to end (surround sound)

The north wall, is my problem. The concrete is flush with the sliding door, so:
1. How do i 'cover' the expansion gap there?
2. how would i put wires in the expansion gap...i guess if question one is answered then that will tell me how.

I can't wire it the other direction because it would be a major pain,(2 doors, and a kitchen entrance).

thanks

Old 11-18-03, 01:59 PM
dmoolenaar
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by blocky97
that is a great idea!!!

If I do that here is my other problem.
I have a place that looks like this

|             |
|             |
|             |

The East wall is where the wires start from,
the North wall is about a 9 foot wide window/sliding door
the West wall is where i want the wires to end (surround sound)

The north wall, is my problem. The concrete is flush with the sliding door, so:
1. How do i 'cover' the expansion gap there?
2. how would i put wires in the expansion gap...i guess if question one is answered then that will tell me how.

I can't wire it the other direction because it would be a major pain,(2 doors, and a kitchen entrance).

thanks
Sounds like an easy job for a person w/experience in pulling wire. I had surround speaker wire pulled through my family-room ceiling for in-ceiling mount speakers plus a corner wire for a sub. Total cost was $200 and included a speaker connector box at the source. Took them all of 4 hours and I got to watch and learn.

Other than that the baseboard solution sounds the best. You can run the wires up and around the slider but will probably require a little sheetrock repair. Maybe add door casings to the slider when you're done instead? I wouldn't recommend the plywood layer over your slab - especially just to run wire. Finally, you could always use this as an excuse to install some crown molding and run your wires behind that.

Old 11-18-03, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your going to need an expansion gap at the slider for the hardwood!!!

An endcap is the preferred molding to trim sliders with. It has the profile of an "L" laid on its side.

Like this if it turns out right...

__
|

Old 11-19-03, 10:03 AM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
Ahh great!! i'll look into the endcap molding for it!!!!

thanks a bunch!

Old 12-01-03, 06:52 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
How did you like your bellawood? I want to use thier 3/8" brazilian teak on a glue down over concrete. My installer buddy is sceptical of both ideas.

thanks

Old 12-02-03, 07:46 AM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
I haven't gotten mine yet. Hopefully I will get it this weekend, and then install it next weekend...i'll tell you how I like it when i get it though and how tough/easy it was for the install.

seth

Old 12-02-03, 07:54 AM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
Thanks....my guy wanted to have me put down the plywood, but would rather not. Plus he is not familar with the bellawood as toward quality etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: