Oil vs Water based for refinishing hardwood floors

Old 11-25-03, 08:54 PM
chris allen
Visiting Guest
Oil vs Water based for refinishing hardwood floors

Im curious as to what some think.............is the water based stuff going to last or is what I have been hearing true that it does not hold up for as long as oil based?

Old 12-01-03, 12:41 PM
mloman
Visiting Guest
The water-based stuff is very easy to use. I used Minwax Water-Based Polyurethane for Floors. It was expensive, but they say it lasts 2 to 3 times longer than other water based polyurethanes. You can find it on the minwax.com website.

Water-based may not last as long as oil-based, but you'll be able to apply maintenance coats very easily in the future! The stuff dries fast and there is virtually no smell.

Old 12-02-03, 01:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water based is crap. If you are willing to put the time in, Bruning makes the best oil based poly. Floors will not need recoating in our lifetime. It is BOWLING ALLEY grade and cost the same as other brands. The only drawback is the wait to dry, about 12-24 hours.

Old 12-02-03, 02:21 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil will probably last longer than water however they are BOTH good products. As mloman said it is easy to use and quick to finish. Oil is probably a bit stronger but does take a long time to use and is accompanied by the odor. I do not have any preferences. I use whatever the homeowner wants. I put down water-based in my home and have been extremely pleased with the results. I think people get afraid of water-based because it does take a little finess to use corectly thus people are afraid to use it. Essentialy both types work the same way. Once you put the water based bown the water evaporates leaving behind a hard resin. Oil does pretty much the same thing. I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose. Technology is always improving both types. If you choose water and want a few tips just let us know.

Sparks98, I see that you are new to the forum. Welcome. I will say though, just for future reference, that it is frowned upon around here to dismiss a product as being "crap". Maybe if you gave the original poster some info as to why you think that way it would serve him better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: