subfloor/moisture

Old 11-27-03, 08:05 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
subfloor/moisture

Am putting down 3/4" x 3 1/4" prefinished oak. At present there is 5/8" plywood down, really want to go parallel to floor joists because of the configuration/lighting in the room. That said, I am told to + my subfloor with 3/8" osb or 1/4" plywood. Is that good advice ?

Also, the room this is being installed in, is above a partial basement, basement floor (gravel/mud) is covered with poly and appears dry.

To minimize any potential moisture, is it prudent to put poly down over the 5/8" plywood, then cover with new subfloor ? What other good options are there, or I am I being over-cautious.

As always the great advice is appreciated !

Old 11-28-03, 09:18 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
can't be overly catious when it comes to wood.Yo can put down the 1/4 luan and 15# roofing felt that should take care of that.
The problem is the way in which you want this floor put down.Not only will you see every roll or sag in the floor bout you have nothing to nail to,which will greatly reduce the life of this floor,also because of all the movement the floor will crackle and pop like a bowl of rice crispies so i think i would change my thinking on that if a were you.Then you need the luan either just the roll of felt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: