hardwood floor/area rug adhesive

Old 11-28-03, 04:23 PM
homebruer
Visiting Guest
Question hardwood floor/area rug adhesive

when my wife and i put an area rug in our family room,we used an adhesive tape under the edges to keep it from sliding.now this rug is old and we want to replace it.when i pull up the tape a small amount of sticky adhesive is left behind.it does not appear that the floor is damaged.what do you think would be the best way to try to remove this sticky residue without damaging the floor? also,is there something else you would recomend to keep area rugs from sliding on hardwood floors?

Old 11-28-03, 04:39 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Adhesive on hardwood

If you have a polyurethane finish, start with the mildest household solvent rubbing alcohol and a rag to remove adhesive. If polyurethane, acetone will bead up on the surface like water on a duck's back and not harm finish, but it will remove residue if milder solvent does not work.

Purchase a high quality, non yellowing pad (no rubber or latex) which will not cause yellowing and discoloration due to PVC (polyvinylchloride migration). Area rugs should be removed seasonally for cleaning and to allow area beneath rug to be exposed to light so that it was acquire the same patina with age that exposed areas require.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: