Bellawood...any good?

Old 12-01-03, 06:48 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
Bellawood...any good?

Want to install a 3/8" Bellawood brazilian teak, glue down on concrete. Bellawood says no problem...my installer buddy doesn't like the idea, wants me to put 5/8" plywood down & nail.

Slab passed a calcium test and was going to use Bostiks best glue.....who's right????

Any experiences with bellawood quality, durability? Glue down on concrete? I'm in S CA, so not any extreme temp & humidity problems.

Should I go for it or look for some engineered? (wife really likes that brazilian teak though)

thanks

Old 12-09-03, 09:32 AM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
bruiserman,

I'm going to be doing my glue down install this weekend. I'll tell you how it goes. I live in Playa Del Rey, so I'm probably in the same situation as you.

I'm using bostiks best adhesive.

If you do go with bellawood, have them deliver it to your place. I was dumb and went and picked it up from commerce. Not only does it take forever because they are so busy, but also I was not prepared for how much it weighed. I thought i was going to break my friends SUV because We could only load the wood on the passenger side since the boxes where 7 feet long.

Old 12-09-03, 01:56 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
Great can't wait to hear. Did you do a moisture test on your slab? What did it come in at?. Getting different answers on what is acceptable.

Thanks

Old 12-09-03, 02:23 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
I didn't do the calcium test. I did the duct tape 6 mil poly test in areas of the floor for 72 hours.

Where I live, it was fine. I didn't detect any change in color of the concrete, and i could not feel any moisture on the plastic sheet when i took it up.

Old 12-15-03, 04:15 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
brusierman,

i think i might just have someone install it for me....I don't have the time right now to do the install. Are you using someone? or are you doing it yourself?

what about your installer buddy? is he a pro? or just a friend...figured i would ask you since you are in so cal also.

Old 12-15-03, 06:09 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
naw, I'm doiing it myself...he is just giving advice.

Actually, he owns the flooring company and dosen't do any installs himself. The company has been doing a lot of work for expo & he knows his stuff. But his company wouldn't do a glue down of solid straight on concrete.

Too much liability if it screws up & has to come back and replace.

His final advice to me was....it would probably okay doing a glue down (98%) and since I'm doing the labor....worse case...what do I got to lose (if I really like the wood). Which we do. He just wouldn't chance the 2%

The going rate is about $3 a sq/ft to install. Talk to the guys at bella-wood. May know of some guys in your area.

Hows the wood look? Ordered mine up.

Old 12-15-03, 06:37 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
the wood looks incredible! I'm in love with it!

Yea i talked to the guys down in commerce from lumber liquidators the guy gave me some guys number in the 323 area. I dunno if anything will come of it though...I also put some feelers out on craigs list, and service magic hopefully something will catch. Tommorow i'll do more of an extensive search in my area for some contractors.

Old 12-15-03, 07:27 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
Cool....you got the Koa? Liked that one too!

Old 01-12-04, 04:36 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
bruiserman,

My floor is mostly done. I have put some pics up, they are kinda big...so be patient downloading them...

the guy that i had install it had trouble with them becasue the boards where not all flat. so he had trouble during the glue down. They kept wanting to move all around and spread out He told me something like because LL is selling other peoples overstock, that all the ****ty boards that are not good enough for normal packages are used.

All i know is i'm glad I had him do it instead of me, it was 2 bucks a SF, some people wanted to charge up to 3.75, but this guy seemed like the best out of all the contractors.

the URL to the floor is
http://www.neverendingweb.com/house/house.htm

Old 01-12-04, 07:00 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
looks sharp....sheez $2 a foot...good price..maybe I should look around too.

Were the boards twisted or just not flat? How did the guy correct..alot of weights while glueing? Many unusable boards?

Still waiting for mine to show...probably this week. Any other things I should watch out for?

thanks for keeping me posted

Old 01-12-04, 07:13 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
Most of the boards where usable, he just jammed them in. What he did was about 3-4 feet at a time, and then weighted the whole thing down with the boxes of wood or anything that he could find... Basically every day he would come and put in about 3-4 feet. he would push them tight together by using a 2x4 against the wall as a lever, and pushing the boards tight...

he would then nail down some scrap wood to keep it from moving over night while it dried...he prolly put a piece of wood every 5 feet, or near joints.

I was just talking to him...he said part of the prob. is that the boards where not milled totally correctly, so that there where slight angles in some of the board.

He had a @#%%^ of a time aligning the floor straight after my initial 2feet by 29 feet path...

it seemed that a level laser worked a lot better then the chalk line when trying to get the floor straight.

I actaully have enough boards to do the kitchen (in a year) when i re do my cabinets and countertops.

yea for 2 bucks a SF, i was like damn!!! so much easier then doing it myself!!! I ended up having him do my trim also... if your interested i can give you his number

Old 01-12-04, 07:26 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
For that amount of work....$2 is dirt cheap. But if he only did 4 or 5 ft a day, doubt if he wants to come to San Diego. Spend more on gas than the job pays.

But that milling part...not happy to hear. Was on onother site & they said the milling has gone down hill the past year or so for them. Guess it holds true still. Rats

What was all the blue tape on the floor..problem areas?

Old 01-12-04, 09:16 PM
blocky97
Visiting Guest
damn, i did a reply and something happened to it...so i'll rewrite this one short.

I thought you where in LA, didn't realize you where in SD, my bad! yea the milling thing kinda sucks. the wood looks awesome!!! but i'm worried about the future..and what is going to happen.

the tape was for some trouble spots, or for things i wanted him to take a look at. I was being realy anal when i was going through it and marking it up for him....if i had a square around a section in those pics, that was for glue i wanted to be cleaned up.

the way i found my contractor was from a website called craigslist. it is basically classifieds ad. all text based, and word of mouth type thing...but its great, i use it all the time. I put an ad in the jobs list

the url is:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ for the SD area, for other people reading the post, the url is:

http://www.craigslist.org maybe your city is in it.

Old 01-13-04, 11:12 PM
bruiserman
Visiting Guest
I'll check 'em out.

If your guy used Bostik Best for glue...that wood is not moving. My buddy say it is unbelievable hold. They had to remove a job where it was used and had to use a jack hammer to get it off.

Other brands I don't know about...the Bostik he said was the one.

Got a call today and my wood is in...baited breath to check out the milling, but probably can't tell until start putting it down.

Old 01-14-04, 04:31 PM
LisaCea
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

....not to rain on your parade but.......

sounds like you got what youi paid for in materials and the installer.

I would be really suprised all your "bad boards" "just jammed in" are still on the floor in a year or two.

Sorry!

Old 01-15-04, 07:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Lisa.

LL is know for piss poor milling. I'm surprised you don't have lipping everywhere too. Strap clamps and culling are the professional way to tighted the gaps, from bad boards.
$2 per ft?

He ain't making a living or planning for the future, getting 3- 5 foot wide rows in in a day, @ $2 per ft. Did he even have liability insurance? How about a contractors license?

The Bostik's glue is really good urethane adhesive, but I have found the Taylor 2071 with Meta-tec is the winner! Bostik's has meet its match.

Old 01-16-04, 05:28 PM
H
Lumber Liquidators

I don't see the sense of bashing LL all the time. People will buy cheap, no question about it. Yes, it's a matter of you get what you pay for. Now they're going to start pushing some cabin grade Harris-Tarkett Tap-lock for $2.50 a square foot. Same line seen in my local HD's for $3.99.

They do offer some better prefinished products but you're looking at $5-6 a square foot. I've heard good things about some of their unfinished products from many. Another benefit in dealing with them is you'll get good sized transition pieces rather than the four footers HD offers. Need 16 footers? They can get it for you.

It will be interesting to see what happens with LL over the next 12 months as a good source tells me there is a whiff of the company going public. Who knows if that will be a benefit or not. Unfortunately I have a feeling they'll grow too fast and problems will mount.

Wow, that floor certainly has some character! Two bucks is pretty darned low for the southern Cal area, but if you're satisfied..all the better.

Ken Fisher

Old 04-30-07, 10:27 AM
B
Thumbs up lumber liquidators and bellawood

Everyone should just check out LL's BBB report at BBB.org Their headquarters is in Virginia. Click on that and you should have all your answers about their products and service..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: