Laminate Placement Question

Old 01-18-04, 01:45 PM
kathybrj
Visiting Guest
Laminate Placement Question

The husband and I have installed laminate flooring in our home before (in a square room) and we are looking forward to installing it in our family room.

The room is 19' x 12' with one double window on one of the 19' walls. Instructions say to lay it from the light source. I'm not liking the look of it, during a dry fit.

In such a long, narrow room, would it be unthinkable to install the flooring long way? I also figure it might be less cutting (?).

Thanks, in advance for your help!

Old 01-19-04, 10:56 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
It's not unthinkable at all, I think it would look great!

Old 01-19-04, 12:57 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
The reason for the planks ends (narrow = end) to face the light source is to have less noticeable joints. You are free to lay the planks as you wish in your home, but the joints will be much more noticeable and "chopped up" looking if the narrow ends don't face the primary light source.

Old 01-19-04, 01:41 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
I would agree with that advice, but then again, which would look worse?
Planks going the short way, or joints showing a bit more.
From my experience, it looks better to have the planks extending the long way, but maybe you could dry fit to see what you like.

Old 01-19-04, 02:01 PM
kathybrj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies, folks.

We did do a dry fit and I think it looks better with the planks running parallel to the long wall. The husband agrees. The room is just a tad too narrow to fit the planks across.

I was afraid that runing the planks parallel to the long wall would actually make the room look longer, but it really doesn't. We'll be putting an area rug in the middle of the room also, so that should break it up, somewhat.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: