Hardwood over uneven 3/4x6 subfloor

Old 01-28-04, 03:22 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood over uneven 3/4x6 subfloor

I’m installing ¾” hardwood in place of carpet in my second story.

I’ve torn out some of the existing carpet, padding, and 1/2" particleboard, leaving just the existing 3/4" 1x6 subfloor. At first, I thought I’d install the 3/4" tongue & groove hardwood flooring over the existing 3/4" 1x6 subfloor. However, the 1x6 subfloor boards aren't flat in certain areas (there is a noticeable difference in height from one to another), plus some crowns exist. And, there is a whitish coating on the boards – very sandy like. I think it is over spray from either the ceiling or wall plaster when the home was originally built. Two of the crowns appear to be caused by settling. The space I’m working on is above my garage and it appears to me that two of the crowns are above the garage walls.

I plan on adding screws through the ¾x6 boards to the joists, but I don't think that will help flatten the subfloor enough. And, I don’t think it will solve the crown problem.

After the screws, I’m expecting to sand down the crowns and then add a layer of plywood before the hardwood. I think it will definitely smooth things out, and floor height may not be too much of an issue since the plywood would be replacing the existing 1/2" particleboard.

I'm a little leery of countersinking with 3/8" plywood due to its thickness. I'm leaning toward 1/2" cdx. Do you think I can get away with countersinking coarse screws with 3/8" plywood?

Would it be a good idea to add rosin paper between the 1x6 boards and the plywood, and then also add it between the plywood and the finished hardwood?

If no rosin paper between the 1x6 and plywood, then I would add Liquid Nails and still use the screws.

Am I on the right track here? Any tips you can give me?

Old 01-28-04, 07:02 PM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
Rosin paper is good for sound I would use 1/2" ply for that and for crowns you can use a circular saw to cut it down(skim it across).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: