Run plan for multiple rooms

Old 02-17-04, 12:43 PM
Sonny_D
Visiting Guest
Question Run plan for multiple rooms

I'm planning on installing hardwood in areas of my downstairs (has plywood subfloor), about 700sqft. It will encompass a living room, front entranceway/hallway, family room and dining room. You can see all of these rooms from the front door, so determining where to start the first run is extremely important (at least I believe it is?).

Does anyone know how a professional would go about determining the best run plan for this multiple room installation? Thanks so much for any help!!!

my background as well , I just completed installing some 3 1/4" x 3" tng wood in an upstairs bedroom, roughly 150 sqft...pretty square room, only "tricky" section was into the the closet. This was my first time doing so, and it went pretty well.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-04, 04:53 PM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
What kind of house is it? It's hard to tell where the hall and rooms are located.

Old 02-17-04, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very generally speaking, you should run the boards with the long wall of the room or space. Flooring laid with the short wall can make the room look smaller.

Since you're dealing with more than one room, try laying out some flooring and see how it looks to you. Depending on the layout of the rooms, you might want to run some of it perpendicular to the rest.

If possible, make a scale drawing and play with different arrangements. (I use a CAD program to do this and figure out all my cuts before I even open the boxes)

Remember, it needs to look as good as possible from any viewpoint.

Have fun.

Old 02-17-04, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood flooring

Hardwood flooring should be laid perpendicular (across) the floor joists, as they support the weight of the subfloor and hardwood flooring. For the bible on hardwood flooring installation, go to www.installingwoodfloors.com

Old 02-18-04, 06:10 AM
Sonny_D
Visiting Guest
Home Layout

Thanks.
Standard colonial.
I tried entering a rough layout here, but the post skews it. I attached it in a .txt file which shows what I am looking at doing...

actually it does not look to be taking the attachment?

Old 02-18-04, 07:43 PM
rs0
Visiting Guest
i don't really no why it would matter which room you started in ...are you going to run the wood in one direction or change directions in each room.....as long as the first board is straight of your starting wall then you can start anywhere...........if you were worried about back laying the wood they make toungues you can slip in the groove side and start backlaying

Old 02-19-04, 06:31 AM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
A colonial i would start from the doorway and front living room window and run thru the dinette.The family room if you have a garage is useably separated by the kitchen and towards the back of the house in that case start from the back door because you want a full piece tight against it!! Hope this helps?