Layout for Hardwood Floor

Old 02-24-04, 05:55 PM
LeFloor
Visiting Guest
Question Layout for Hardwood Floor

This is my first attempt at laying hardwood flooring and would like to verify my layout. I am going to lay tongue & groove flooring on a wood sub floor in a very open space, the foyer, dining room and great room and then down a hallway, approximately 27' x 18' with the floor joist running the 27' length. I would really like to run the wood length wise with the 27' but that would be positioning the hardwood parallel with the floor joist. The rooms are only separated with 2 large archways. If it is better I can run the flooring perpendicular to the floor joist. I just don't think it will look as attractive. Comments? Because the room is so long I saw instruction that suggest that you start in the middle of the floor with the first 2 courses groove to groove with a piece of molding in the place of the tongue. I guess this is suppose to allow the floor to expand and contract from the center out. Does this sound correct? Is it suggested to always lay a vapor barrier? Does anyone have any other suggestions or hints. I would certainly appreciate the guidance.

Old 02-24-04, 06:14 PM
rs0
Visiting Guest
you can run your wood the same direction as your joist as long as you have a 3/4" subfloor underneath...and you woudl start on the longest wall....if you want to start the wood in the middle of the room you can i'm not sure what you mean by a piece of molding but if go groove to groove you have to put tongues between then and you should be able to get them at any flooring store.

Old 02-25-04, 04:53 AM
LeFloor
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. The subfloor is 3/4 inch but this is the first that I have heard to go parallel with joist if the subfloor is adequate. Which I guess 3/4 is ok. As far as the molding - I am talking about making my own tongue with molding. This is per the interactive video on the DoItYourself site.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Old 02-25-04, 06:38 AM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
You sould run it across the beams,if you run your wood parallel it'll be bouncy in spots and you would want to nail on the beams as much as possible.For starting in the middle i wouldn't do that because you will still have to top nail down and you don't want to see that in the middle of the room.If your worried about expansion start the first piece away from the wall(room to expand).

Old 02-29-04, 06:20 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
With such a large expanse if you run the flooring parralell to the joist the floor will fail.(you can run your wood the same direction as your joist as long as you have a 3/4" subfloor underneath)
This statement is not true and should be disregarded. Stability is a key facter when installing hardwood. If the look of the floor is that imprtant you will need to look at other types of flooring other than a 3/4 in product. Going with an engineered floating floor is one otpion , laminate is another. Wood floors are an investment and simply installation can make or break its longevity.
Also if you are staing in the middle of a room you will not need to top nail. Install a starter row in the middle of the room using scrap wood behind the 1st row to hold it in place. Top nail the scarp row. Using the flooring stapler staple in the starter row to the temp row down the tongue the full length. Remove the scrap row and insert a slip tongue in the groove of the starter row and staple the slip tongue into the groove. Now you are ready to reverse the flooring . Install the new starter row in the other direction which will now be grove to grove with your 1 st starter row the slip tonge is now sandwhiched between the two rows and you can run your flooring in both directions.

Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: