Hardwood over acoustic slabs

Old 03-19-04, 09:23 AM
joy143dh
Visiting Guest
Question Hardwood over acoustic slabs

I pulled up all the carpeting in my 2nd floor condo unit... only to find 1" acoustic floor slabs nailed down to the subfloor. Apparently, the condo association requires an "strong" acoustic barrier between the 1st floor condos & 2nd floor condos... which is fine with me because I don't want to hear my downstairs neighbors anyway.

I *think* that the slabs are made from rock mineral wool (found that out on the web) or it could be cork. In either case, they seem steardy & flat.

Do you think it is OK to lay hardwood flooring over it? Should I use longer nails to pass through the slab to the subfloor (2 1/2" maybe?)

Thanks in advance for your advise!

Last edited by joy143dh; 03-19-04 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-19-04, 06:03 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hardwood installation

3/4" solid hardwood flooring installation requires a 3/4" Plywood subfloor (OSB acceptable). Particle board and other substrates tend not to be acceptable materials. This is primarily because they tend not to be able to hold flooring nails which go approximately 2 1/4". Less than recommended subflooring and proper nailing for solid hardwood can result in an unsuccessful installation. Go to www.installingwoodfloors.com for solid hardwood installation instructions at the National Oak Flooring Manufucturer's Organization website.

If you have less than the recommended subfloor for solid hardwood installation, you might want to consider one of the wood laminated products available. These are popular for ease of installation and can overcome shortcomings of substrate materials. Keep in mind that many of these products can not be refinished and have a limited lifespan. Some products can not be sanded and refinished, while others may be refinished 2-3 times if lucky over their life span. If you go with a wood laminate product, seek nothing with less than 1/8" veneer layer and 5 plies of plywood beneath. Laminated wood products tend to vary greatly among manufacturers, as well as good, better, best quality levels, price levels, and warranty levels. Each manufacturer tends to have very specific instructions regarding subfloor preparation, acclimation, and installatinon instructions, which should be taken into consideration if making a purchase. Solid hardwood installation also has its specific requirements, which can be found a www.installingwoodfloors.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: