wood or laminate in 2nd floor bedrooms?

Old 03-23-04, 05:12 PM
T
tjr
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question wood or laminate in 2nd floor bedrooms?

Would it be a bad idea to put wood or laminate floors in a second story? I am getting ready to finish the two bedrooms and bath on the second floor of a cape cod type house. the ceiling/floor has insulation between first and second floor. I am concerned about noise,and safety of slippery floor at top of stairs if I go the wood route. carpet is nice but my kids(3 and 5)are constantly sniffling and i was told that getting rid of carpets would help.

Thank you for any advice
Tom

Old 03-23-04, 06:09 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
either or would be fine.

a floating wood or laminate has the availability to have a sound deadening pad under it, and for stairs, I would also use a runner for slip resistance.

Old 03-23-04, 07:47 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wood floors

Solid hardwood will add value to your home. Pick up a newspaper and read the classified ads. "Features hardwood floors!"

If you are concerned about 'slipperiness,' neither hardwood or laminate offer any difference to resistance because both tend to be 'hard' surfaces. Rugs and runners may reduce concerns or compound them depending on selection of rugs and backing or slip-resistant padding installed beneath.

More and more research tends to reveal that carpet is not a healthy choice, especially for folks who are allergy sensitive. Carpet and padding arrives new and clean, but it contains loose particles that can be inhaled, not to mention off-gasing problems. Carpet harbors dust, soil, dust mites, and allergens. Thus, more and more folks are moving to hard surface floor covering.

Solid hardwood flooring requires a 3/4" plywood subfloor into which it is nailed. Wood laminate is a veneer layer of real wood over 3-5 plies of plied wood. Some of the less expensive products can not be sanded to refinish. These products offer the option of nailing, stapling, gluing down, or floating in.

If you opt to go with wood laminate, do not go with less than 1/8" veneer layer over 5 plies. The more plies the better and the thicker the veneer layer the better. Some of the bargain products can not be refinished. Laminates tend to end up in dumpsters, and solid hardwood tends to last 200 years or more with proper maintenance. Have the classified ads posted "wood laminate" throughout?

Old 03-23-04, 08:03 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
certainly sound advice so far...

we recently chose to go with a laminate in the baby's room which happens to be on the 2nd floor of our home, with foam underlay this floating floor is performing well and is reasonably quiet.

we have solid hardwood floors on the main floor and love the look, we just had to weigh the cost of hardwood vs. laminate and using laminate in the baby's room and the rest of the upstairs is our choice...note this was a mid-priced laminate, don't even look at the .99 cents/ft s___t.

be happy with your choices.

Old 03-27-04, 12:21 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hardwood versus laminate

There are less than premium 3/4" solid hardwood products available that offer you an opportunity to compete with laminate prices and give you a product that adds value to home and a floor that will last 200+ years. This is something that the wood laminate cannot do. That is if price point is an issue. If installing below grade on concrete, then a wood laminate product is recommended because of moisture/humidity conditions and dimenional stability.

Wood laminates are options for below grade installations, and offer ease of installation. These products can be nailed, glued, stapled, or floated in. These products, depending on manufacturer, tend to add no value to your home. These tend to be a real wood veneer over plywood. The more plies the better. The thicker the veneer layer the better (nothing less than 1/8"). Some cannot be refinished and at best 2-3 times). If solid 3/4" hardwood is an option and you have a 3/4" plywood or OSB subfloor, I recommend a 3/4" nail down solid hardwood floor that will out last your lifespan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: