Remove cement based floor levelling compound

Old 04-04-04, 04:27 PM
harrysmith0
Visiting Guest
Remove cement based floor levelling compound

I have completed two applications of a cement and water based floor levelling compound to a 10 square metre floor. The surface is not sufficiently smooth and I must remove all of the surface and start again. The surface is very hard and application of a chisel produces slow results - I will never finish it. How can I clear the floor? What power tools are suitable for the job? The floor is inside a house and so there are some internal walls that I wish to remain intact.

Thanks

Harry

Old 04-08-04, 09:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leveling removal

Harry,

Let me give you two things I would try.

First, buy the most expensive Bruce gluedown floor and wait, it will pull the leveling compound up for only a few thousand dollars.

Sorry, I digress to personal experience.

Knowing that the compounds usually warn about moisture, I would try and wet the surface and let it soak in for a while, then try a hammer and chisel to get it started.

Depending on how bad you claim the surface is now, it might be fixable with a surface grinder.

Whatever you do, don't use pneumatic tools on it. The oil in the air could end up on the slab and create bonding problems later on.

JT

Old 04-27-04, 11:23 AM
harrysmith0
Visiting Guest
cement based floor levelling compound

Hi JT

I hired an electic floor grinder and it worked except not at the corners and edges where a hammer and chisel was used. A horrible, horrible job. Tons and tons of cement dust and tired limbs. It took a whole day of constant labour. I will never do this again.

Always hire professionals to lay floors.

harry

Old 04-28-04, 11:10 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Floor leveling

Sure wished you had checked in here before you began your project or done some internet research before for floor leveling compounds and instructions. Your only resort now is to string a string across the floor and use a level to sand or ground down all the high points to make the surface level. If the situation is a bad as you report, then you can rent a pneumatic chisel to remove the coatings in short order. As indicated, grinders can be effective but they tend to create a lot of dust. Do some research before you begin again to make sure you use the correct leveling compound to assure a flat surface. What type of floor surface covering do you wish to install?

Old 06-02-04, 07:05 PM
B
For my two cents. Why not lay a layer of something like Durarock over the self leveling and start anew? Put down a layer of cement then screw on the cement board. I used the self leveling when I had to redo the floor in my mothers apt in a 60 year old building and it made more work then it was worth. I found that the boards work great.

Old 06-05-04, 11:45 PM
Bob, because that is a sure formula for disaster later down the road.

Never install CBU over concrete!

That is call the halfASSed way to cover a screw up. It won't last!

Old 06-06-04, 09:15 AM
B
Unhappy

Carpet;
Your right. I fell into the presumption mistake trap and "assumed" something, and I confused the self leveling product, he was talking about, with something else that I had used before ,over a wood floor, before laying the cbu. (late English teacher would be furious with that runon sentence!!!!!!!!LOL!!)

Last edited by Bob M; 06-06-04 at 09:21 AM. Reason: wrong wording

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: