engineered hardwood ?

Old 04-07-04, 06:49 PM
firedads
Visiting Guest
Cool engineered hardwood ?

I have been mentally preparing myself to install my own laminate floor, but when I went to a local flooring store the entire staff desperately tried to convince me that engineered hardwood is the way to go. This was suprising because they carry the laminate I was looking to purchase. They could have agreed that my selection was the right one and made a sale. Instead they introduced me to engineered hardwood and risked losing a sale. Is the engineered product that much better? They had many reasons including appearance of real wood vs laminate, importance of having almost perfectly level floor with laminate, possibility of damaged edges with laminate, difficulty in repairing a cut or gouge in laminate etc. The staff seemed genuinely concerned with how the product would look in my new home. I left the store with 3/8" 3 ply samples from two name brands and a quote of six dollars sq ft installed. Some of you gave me some advice and said to stay away from the thin engineered floors, so now im looking at a 7 ply from another major mfg. Will installing the engineered floor will be as simple as the laminate. The product says in it can be glued,stapled or floated (3" or wider). I am looking to install it in a den,foyer and hall from kitchen to bedrooms. I welcome any advice the experts or DIYers may have.

Thanks Firedads

Old 04-08-04, 09:56 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Well, There is very good reasons to go to wood, but are they good resons for you?

Wood is more valuable and will last longer, but if you want lam, which is a GOOD product, then go back and tell em so.
It's not THEIR house!

Old 04-09-04, 05:13 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Laminate

There are two kinds of laminate--plastic and wood (engineered) flooring. If you have your heart set on laminate, then go with a major manufacturer who produces good, better, best levels of quality and warranties. Choose one that has the best product and warranty that your budget allows.

Ease of installation is also a major consideration. Depending upon manufacturer and product selection, product may be glued, nailed, stapled, or floated. Choose a product that best meets your desired installation method. Read and follow installation instructions carefully for subfloor preparation, acclimation, installation, care and maintenance in order not to avoid any warranties and to get the best performance out of your flooring product.

Engineered or wood laminate flooring is a veneer layer of real wood on top of several plies of plywood. The more layers the better. The thicker the veneer layer the better (nothing less than 1/8" recommended). Some of the products can not be sanded and refinished, some only once, others three or more times.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: