laminate floor tools

Old 05-19-04, 09:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question laminate floor tools

Hi,

I recently got my laminate wood floor at pretty good price at this place. But, they were selling the vapor barrier/pad at a ridiculous price so I decided not to get it there. The prices at the Home Depots were mush more reasonable.
Is there really any difference between the vapor barrier/pad between products?

2nd question was...I was trying to figure out what type of blade to get for my saw to complete the project but haven't found any specific? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 05-20-04, 11:58 AM
stay with the same brand

if you want to preserve the warranty on the flooring, stick with the underlayment that they make. otherwise, if you have any problems later, you will have invalidated the warranty.

when we bought our flooring & pad, we were laying it over an existing vinyl floor, so we opted for the "basic" pad that the manufacturer offered, as opposed to the thicker & twice as expensive "super duper luxury" pad. maybe you could get away with the cheaper one too.

as for the saw blade: we used whatever regular blade comes with an electric compound miter saw. worked great.

Old 05-20-04, 09:19 PM
vmg_inc
Visiting Guest
Wink Just Be...

First things first... Read the manufacturers warranty on the flooring... If it states that the complete warranty is available online, PLEASE make sure that you read it thoroughly... As was mentioned, many manufacturers warranties can be voided by the use of an underlayment that is not prescribed in the warranty... If in doubt, call the manufacturer direct... Don't just believe the people in the flooring store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Next depending upon the width and what you are going to be cutting it... I have been a Contractor for many years and have installed many types of laminate flooring... Quite honestly, get yourself a very good blade to cut the stuff with... You will find that if you use a new finer cutting blade, you will have much cleaner and aesthetically better cuts... Not too mention more accurate... Now since I have installed a "little" bit of this stuff, I always have a new blade around whenever we finish a house/project/remodel just for circumstances like this...

Good Luck and have a great day...

Old 05-20-04, 09:33 PM
D
Those are two good point which I had not considered.

I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow.

In regard to the saw. The friend who is helping me lay the floor and has laid these floors about a dozen times swears that all he uses is a circular saw and jig saw. Somebody else had mentioed using a mitre saw. Will it matter in the end as long as I use a good blade?

Thanks

Old 05-28-04, 02:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No probably not. Depends on how good you are with a circular and jig saw. A compound saw is probably easier...but not everyone has one. A good (new) blade is important.

Old 05-28-04, 07:26 AM
you'll definitely need both kinds of saws: one that you can cut the short side of the plank with (circular or jig or miter) and one to cut the along the entire length of the plank with (jig or circular - mitre saw obviously won't work for that).

in the end, though, it doesn't matter. because the cuts will always be on the outside edge, hidden under baseboards & trim. and with the 1/4" gap that you'll leave, there's room for a little error. that's why, in my opinion, an ugly cut by a less than perfectly new blade seems acceptable, by i'm not a pro, just a weekend DIYer.

Old 06-02-04, 03:59 PM
finman
Visiting Guest
I AGREE WITH ANNETTE REGARDING ANY CUT YOU MAKE WILL BE COVERED BUY TRIM, BUT AS FOR 1/4" EXPANTION GAP, THE LAMINATE WILL NOT EXPAND ANYMORE THAN THE THICKNESS OF THE PRODUCT ( USUALLY 8mm ) AS FOR WARRANTIES, LOL. YOU DONT NEED A VAPOUR BARRIER IF THE LAMINATE IS GOING OVER WOOD

Old 06-02-04, 04:06 PM
D
Thanks for the info everyone.

Things worked out well. But, I found out my measuring abilities left something to be desired as I ended up about 2 boxes short on flooring and 2 square feet short on the pad.

The thing I'm worried about is when I went back to the store to order more wood thay gave me the 2 extra feet of the pad. Well, this pad had Wilsonart printed on it prominently and was a dark blue color. The other didn't. It was just a light blue pad without any manufacturers names printed on it. So, I'm worried now that I have 90% of the floor laid and had specifically requested the manufacturers pad that they have me the wrong brand. I'm going to try to contact Wilsonart tomorrow and see if I can verifiy if its their pad or not.
I pray it is because I don't what I'll do if it isn't!

Shawn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: