New Hard wood floor

Old 06-01-04, 12:29 PM
Scubaboltz
Visiting Guest
Question New Hard wood floor

Help, I need a advice......

We just had a new hard wood floor installed one week ago, by professional contractors. The specifics are: Bruce Natural Reflections wood flooring, glued down with the recommended adhesive, glued directly to concrete slap that the installers checked for level prior to intallation. (A few spots were leveled using a leveling compound.)

Within 24 hours, one section of the floor buckled up into a peak about 7 feet long. I'm suspecting that the installers did not leave enough room for expansion, but I'm just guessing. We did not put any moisture on the floor; we didn't even walk on it. The contractor has agreed to fix this but just so I know what he is doing, how should I be looking for them to fix this?

Also, I've noticed a few 'hollow' spots under the floor. Are these areas that we should do something about? Will these pop up if not taken care of now? And if I need for these to be fixed, what should my contractors be doing? (Just so I can make sure they are doing it right.)

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 06-01-04, 07:16 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
These problems need to be attended to. I do not believe ANY hardwood should be glued over concrete no matter what, but for some reason Bruce thinks it is o.k.

Old 06-02-04, 03:29 PM
finman
Visiting Guest
I Agree With Florcraft Regarding Gluing Down Solid Wood To Concrete. I Have Done It, And Been Lucky With The Results So Far, But I Prefer To Glue And Screw Down 1/2" Exterior Grade Plywood. Did the Contractor Do A Moisture Check Before Installing The Wood ? The Wood Should Also Be In The House 48 Hours Prior To Installing. It IS POSSIBLE That He Didnt Leave A Big Enough Expansion Gap, And The Hollow Areas May Be Lack Of Adhesive. What Size Trowel Did He Use With The Adhesive. Keep The Warranty

Old 06-04-04, 11:33 AM
Scubaboltz
Visiting Guest
We also thought we needed a subfloor, but when we researched this brand we were told that it would be just fine without it. We talked with several people - of course they all sell this brand and style.

I wasn't there when he laid the floor, so I can't tell you about the trowel size. He did asure me prior to the work that he had experience with this type of installation, and had done one in his own home.

He has since pulled up the buckled section; he thinks that one of the planks was warped when they laid it. I'm still betting on lack of expansion.

On the hollow spots, he has consulted the manufacturer and is going to fix these with a 'filler kit'. I guess they drill tiny holes under the floor and inject filler into any cavity. Does this sound right?

We do have a 1 year warranty on his work.

Old 06-04-04, 02:28 PM
finman
Visiting Guest
No, It Dosent Sound Right.how Are They Going Too Inject A Filler Into A Concrete Floor Without Going Through Your Wood Floor. How Far Away From The Walll Is The Boards That Sound Hollow. The Adhesive That They Used, Was It A Water Based Glue, A 2 Part Poly , Or A 1 Part Polyurathenaine Adhesive ? If They Used The Proper Adhesive, And It Has A Hollow Sound , They Missed A Few Spots With The Trowel, Or They Used The Wrong Size Trowel. By Chance, Is The Hollow Sound In The Same Area Where They Leveled The Floor ?

Old 06-04-04, 11:28 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bruce Natural Reflections

Read and learn manufacturer's installation requirements and installer responsibilities for your wood flooring product to determine if product was installed according to manufacturer's installation requirements in order to maintain warranties.

Natural Reflections can be glued directly to concrete using Bruce Equalizer adhesive. Do not use a concrete sealer nor install over one. Surface preparation using mechanical methods such as sanding or scouring with open coat paper or a titanium disk is preferred. The concrete must be of high compressive strength. All concrete subfloors should be tested for moisture content. Visual checks are not reliable. Acceptable test methods for subfloor moisture content include: several areas, especially near exterior walls and walls containing plumbing.

ALL CONCRETE SLABS SHOULD HAVE A MINIMUM OF 6 MIL POLY FILM MOISTURE BARRIER BETWEEN THE GROUND AND THE CONCRETE ACCORDING TO YOUR MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS according to my research. Contact manufacturer regarding required intallation requirements to maintain warranty and local dealer who supplied product and installers for resolution.

Read manufacturer's installatiion instructions in product box. Contact manufactuer regarding installation instructions to maintain warranty. If installation instructions were not followed, act immediately to contact local dealer who supplied installer to achieve corrective action within warranty period. If you or someone you hired independently of a reputable flooring dealer installed floor covering, you may have no recourse.

Old 06-05-04, 11:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gluing these thin solids down to concrete is a gamble. There is is fine line for error.

Let me ask a few questions...

What was the Moisture Vapor Emissions (MVE) comming from the concrete prior to installation? All concrete has MVE. Some are too high for wood installation.
Ask the installer for Calcium Chloride test results prior to the installation. Or a picture of his Tramex Concrete Moisture Encounter Meter, for his documentation of your job.

Also ask for his moisture tests of the wood prior to his installation, along with his recordings of the inside temperature and humidity.

If he has no answers to any of these questions for you or says we have never done that before. You may be in for an expensive mistake by hiring a hack!

Wood swells, grows, expands with moisture gain, nothing else. It bucked because it gained moisture. The lack of expansion was probably is null in this instance. It most likely had the expansion space/gap, but the moisture gain caused swelling, which will eat up a 3/8 expansion space quickly.

The wood should have been tested for the moisture content @ the given Temperature and humidity inside your home.

The concrete needed to be tested for high MVE prior to the installation and documented.

I won't be surprised if your next problem, is cupping of the wood!!!
It just hasn't had time to show yet, but it will!

Personally, I will never install a solid directly glued down to the concrete! I like to sleep good at night!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: