wood flooring over concrete - need recommendations

Old 06-02-04, 01:57 PM
danentin
Visiting Guest
Question wood flooring over concrete - need recommendations

We're moving into a new place and ripping up the carpet in living room and dining room and we want to put down wood flooring in its place. There's concrete underneath the carpet so from what I understand this means we either have to put down a "floating" wood floor or a glue-down wood floor. It seems to me that the advantage of "floating" is that there's chance that wood pieces might pop off with expansion or contraction, but I'm not sure this is something I really need to worry about. Does anyone have recommendations about floating vs. glue-down? Also, does anyone have opinions or recommendations about the various manufacturers? I went to Lowe's and it seems Hartco, Bruce and Armstrong are some of the biggest ones. Any other input on choosing a wood style and type is appreciated. Thanks very much.

Old 06-02-04, 03:07 PM
finman
Visiting Guest
A Floating Floor System Might Be The Best Way To Go, With That System, You Can Use A Good Underlay To Help With Noise And Warmth. If You Do Use Solid Wood, Make Sure That You Dont Have A Moisture Problem. Use An Adhesive That Never Completely Sets Too Allow For The Expantion Of The Wood Every Year. Make Sure The Concrete Is Level

Old 06-03-04, 07:38 AM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
I would shoot and glue 3/4" ply down and leave some space(around 1 inch) between the ply in case of any moisture and just nail the hardwood?Also when you buy the wood leave it in the house for about a week before nailing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: