Squeaky Laminate Floor

Old 06-03-04, 03:34 PM
kd123
Visiting Guest
Squeaky Laminate Floor

Help - I had an Alloc laminate floor professionally installed by an Alloc dealer in 10/02. I love the floor. But, in the last month or so it has started squeaking. The dealer is proving difficult to deal with. Is this a problem that can be remedied? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 01:36 PM
finman
Visiting Guest
Is The Laminate Over A Wood Floor, Or Over A Concrete Floor.. Was It A Glue System, Or A Clic System . What Type Of Underlay Was Installed With It

Old 06-05-04, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sqeaking and laminates.

If it just started squeaking and was not the whole time, the expansion space is no longer present. It is locked in.

If it has flexed and squeaked in that spot since it was installed, I'd have tosay it is the lack of floor prep.

Old 06-07-04, 09:28 AM
kd123
Visiting Guest
Squeaky Laminate floor

The flooring is glue-less, over concrete. The creaking started within the last 5-6 weeks.

Old 06-14-04, 04:04 PM
arnel_lim
Visiting Guest
Creaky Floor

I have the exact same problem. I've also installed in on a concrete subfloor as well. I used Uniclic Quickstep though. It was fine in October when I installed it, and now it creaks a lot.

I guess if the problem is not enough expansion gaps (which is probably the culprit), is it correctable? Will adding more expansion room solve the problem, or is it too late already? Also, when the weather cools (and the floor contracts), do you think the creaking will subside?

Thanks for any advice...

/\

Old 06-14-04, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arnel_lim
I have the exact same problem. I've also installed in on a concrete subfloor as well. I used Uniclic Quickstep though. It was fine in October when I installed it, and now it creaks a lot.

It has gained moisture from humidity since you installed it. Laminates must be installed in an acclimated enviroment / consistent Temp and RH.
In October, you may have started running the heater. Which will dry out and drop humidity levels really low. You acclimated and installed it to those conditions. Now summer time is here and humidity levels have risen. You see a nice spring day and open windows and sleep with the windows open at night. You have now let moisture into the enviroment. The laminate gains this moisture and grows dimensionally. It has now grown more then the expansion you left during the original installation. Get your moisture content back to original installation conditions quickly or it could buckle off the floor. Once noises appear, it isn't long before it heaves somewhere.

Originally Posted by arnel_lim
I guess if the problem is not enough expansion gaps (which is probably the culprit), is it correctable? Will adding more expansion room solve the problem, or is it too late already? Also, when the weather cools (and the floor contracts), do you think the creaking will subside?

Thanks for any advice...

/\

Yes it is correctable before it ruins the laminate by buckling / heaving.

Remove the trim, remove the planks and recut. Or remove the trim and use a Crain toe kick saw, except in the corners.