Noisy Eng. Hardwood floor

Old 06-30-04, 06:53 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noisy Eng. Hardwood floor

I'm about 3/4 done with a 330' floor in my kitchen, after stripping all the ceramic, and the thin-set off the sub-floor. I used foam underlay, and glued the tongue/groove together(tongue) to float the floor. My question is: why is the floor so noisy? It's creaking and cracking in a few spots. Is this going to cause problems down the road? I thought i had the floor very level, and left a 1/2" gap all around.(?)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-04, 07:18 PM
Who or where did you get the idea to float a solid " hardwood? Have you asked the wood manufacturer if this is an approved installation? Don't tell me this is over concrete, either!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a staple or nail down with fasteners only, floor!
With any floating floor, the subfloor has to be flat 1/8 inch withing a 6 foot span. An 1/8 inch. An 1/8 inch!!! Anymore and the subfloor is out of spec for a floater. Too much movement / flex causes noises as you describe.

Old 07-01-04, 07:39 PM
P
this is engineered hardwood plank. 3/8". i was the one who had the thin-set mess to clean up from the crappy tile job. You answered some of my questions. I've been told by a few people that floating this 3/8" flooring would be fine(?)Now i'm really worried.

Old 07-06-04, 06:41 PM
My bad!!!

I saw " done" and thought I saw inch...

Some 3/8 are disigned to be glued as a floater, but some, the T&G milling is less then desireable for gluing the T&G. Too loose of a fit to get good adhesion with T&G adhesive.

With any floating floor, the subfloor has to be flat 1/8 inch withing a 6 foot span. An 1/8 inch. An 1/8 inch!!! Anymore and the subfloor is out of spec for a floater. Too much movement / flex causes noises as you describe. 3/8 inch will not support your weight over a low spot. The glue will soon fail in that area and gaps will develop where the movement is.

Old 07-07-04, 07:28 PM
P
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
Too much movement / flex causes noises as you describe. 3/8 inch will not support your weight over a low spot. The glue will soon fail in that area and gaps will develop where the movement is.
WOW , that really bums me out, it looks really nice, but if i get those gaps, i'll be kickin myself silly. Is there anything i can do if this happens?(other than smash my head on the floor). I told a friend about your post, and he said drive a small finish nail to keep the gap froom opening, but then it wouldn't be able to move as needed i would think(?)

Old 07-07-04, 07:57 PM
You don't want to fasten down a floater in any spot(finishing nail). It will fail for sure then!!! It will lock the floor in place and not let it float.