Want to do floating floor - how to do this rounded step?

Old 07-27-04, 11:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Want to do floating floor - how to do this rounded step?

OK, I want to put in a laminate floor (The floating kind, no nails/glue) into this family room.

The only problem I forsee is this step. It is a single step from the kitchen, and has rounded edges. I've seen the stair nose pieces, but I've never seen anything that would work with the rounded edge.

Anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this done? Any online photo's of it done? Or manufacturers websites of what I need to get this done?

Or any other solution that might work?

Old 07-28-04, 04:13 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you rebuild the step so it's square?

Even in solid wood that would be a royal pain and I would remove it and make a new square one.

I don't know what that one is made of but you could easily make a new one out of 2x4's and some plywood.

Old 07-28-04, 08:41 PM
From the looks of it, that step has a bullnose/lip.
That lip will have to be cut off or filled out.

I agree with the building the stair out, while squaring the corners off.

Old 07-29-04, 09:11 AM
T
Alright - make a new stair it is.

I assume it's as easy as it sounds?

Old 07-29-04, 12:02 PM
A
Yes,

I would probably make a box from 2x4's (assuming it's about 4" high) and put 1/2" or 3/4" ply on top. I would have a paintable riser and since your riser has to wrap around 3 sides I would make it out of solid wood so I could make a nice tight miter on the 2 corners. This assumes you can get a stair nosing that matches your laminate which would give you your overhang (I would have this on hand before you start your design).

Of course this is just off the top of my head so please think this through carefully.

Old 08-04-04, 07:13 PM
T
Originally Posted by AlexH
Yes,

I would probably make a box from 2x4's (assuming it's about 4" high) and put 1/2" or 3/4" ply on top. I would have a paintable riser and since your riser has to wrap around 3 sides I would make it out of solid wood so I could make a nice tight miter on the 2 corners. This assumes you can get a stair nosing that matches your laminate which would give you your overhang (I would have this on hand before you start your design).

Of course this is just off the top of my head so please think this through carefully.
I'd have to paint the three sides of it because I could only lay the laminate on the top correct? Any way of laying laminate on the sides - or will it look bad (As I am beginning to imagine)?

Old 08-05-04, 03:45 PM
A
Most people think steps look better with the risers (verticals) painted white. It's also probably easier than putting laminate on the sides.

If you have a miter saw I would just cut some 4"x1" pine with miters and nail them onto your step frame. Patch holes, sand and paint white.

Although I just looked at your picture and your baseboard is stain grade so you might consider that the step riser is a continuation of the baseboard. But only difference in this case is that you would try to match the species/stain of your baseboard. I think either way it would look fine.

Annette is the style queen here so perhaps she can comment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: