Laminate not laying perfectly flat along long edge?

Old 08-03-04, 04:10 PM
jowi
Visiting Guest
Laminate not laying perfectly flat along long edge?

Hi,

I installed laminate in a room this weekend. It went fairly well. It looks great now that it's done, but I noticed along the two walls that have the planks running the long way next to them the flooring doesn't lay perfectly flat along the whole wall. So if you put your foot right up next to the edge and push down, it moves a bit. The two walls with the short edges against them don't do this. And it doesn't do it along the whole wall, just parts.

Is this a problem? When I install the toe boards should I kind of press the floor down a bit or will that impede expansion (assuming answer to that is yes).

Most people won't even step this close to the wall since a normal step would bring you further into the room. We actually noticed it when my 5-year-old son walked on it.

Any advice appreciated I'm positive the planks are "clicked" - but I guess the floor isn't perfectly level along the edge or something - this is also new construction.

Jody

Old 08-04-04, 10:12 AM
matth1978
Visiting Guest
I had a similar issue when I just put laminate down this weekend. The problem is since it is and end board, and probably cut to size, there isnt enough weight to really hold it snuggly against the floor right after the install. Most manufactures suggest the the boards not be cut less than 2' in width to help prevent issues like this. A couple mehods I used to keep the edges flat place:

1) Put a stack of heavybooks on the the raised edge an tap the board - this will ensure the end board is firmly locked in at floor level, and in most cases, corrected the problem.

2) Some of the time, I Put weight on the quarter-round when installing that - it'll help hold it snuggly in place. Never adhere or nail the laminate floor down, it will fail in the future.

I am finding this to be less and less of an issue with me as the boards are adjusting to the floor and are getting stepped on. Hopefully the same will happen with you!

Old 08-07-04, 06:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it is fully clicked in bothe sides, it should lay flat, provided you checked the subfloor for the flatness specs for laminate flooring. 1/8 inch in 6 feet is the spec for the flatness of the subfloor under the laminate. If this spec is not met, the problem you describe exists. If the installation specs are not fully met during the installation, the manufacturer VOIDS ALL implied warranties on that flooring!

How did you check for the flatness of the subfloor? How much floor prep did you do before installing the moisture retarded/underlayment/cushion?

Old 08-10-04, 07:27 PM
bhrhomeremod
Visiting Guest
Cool

I had the problem where the laminate flooring I just installed raised about 1/8" on the last end I laid. I realized that I could not properly "snap" the last edge into place. I pulled the row of sheets next to it up and snapped them into place. I then installed both sheets with a floor bar, and had no problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: