Laminate floor questions

Old 08-04-04, 04:23 AM
zelda092
Visiting Guest
Laminate floor questions

First -- thank you to the moderators -- I have read many of the posts and the thoughtful, insightful answers are great!

As many others, I am planning to install laminate flooring in several rooms, including the family room and kitchen. The house is a wood frame house roughly 120 years old; however, the family room is an addition from 70s. The kitchen was the back porch many, many years ago and will require leveling of the floor prior to installing the laminate. The kitchen has a hardwood floor with a layer of (of course) pressed wood. The family room also has pressed wood. I plan on removing the pressed wood and replacing with appropriate plywood. (I had planned on asking if the plywood could just be placed over the current floor but answers to other questions indicate that the pressed wood just needs removed.)

I realize that water, in a kitchen, is an issue with laminate; but with laminate being a floating floor what about the weight of appliances, in particular, the refrigerator? Does it interfere with the natural expansion, etc., of the laminate?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Old 08-04-04, 09:57 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
there is probably no reason to install plywood. you can install the laminate right on the subfloor, unless there is a height problem.
don't worry about appliances, you are fine.

Old 08-04-04, 12:54 PM
matth1978
Visiting Guest
I just put Laminate in my kitchen this weekend, and the appliances are fine on top of it. I caulked (with the special pergo culk) all the edges so a water spill could not get under the floor. I left the old floor under the dishwasher and just ran the new floor under it enough so it is hidden from view.

One problem I did have with the appliances is I had to move em back on to the new floor so could finish the rest of the kitchen. I did not protect the edge of the new floor enough, so when I moved the heavy fridge over it, I put 2 dents in the edge. I was not happy since this required replacing that plank (all caulked up) before I could progress. Thats one thing to be very carefull about!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: