Flooring for dining room and living room

Old 08-13-04, 03:40 PM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Question Flooring for dining room and living room

We have a living room and dining room that are opposite each other seperated by the ceramic tile foyer. We are considering wooden interlocking planks, I guess engineered flooring. Any brands or things we should know to pick this out? We are thinking of just going to the local Lowe's store or Home Depot. I see ads for cheaper prices at a Ceramic and Carpet store, but don't want to run all over town if this is just something to get me to come to the store.

What should we specifically look for? Any brands better than others? We know that we should match the flooring for both rooms just to make this look okay.

Old 08-13-04, 04:31 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
For the most protection, expect to pay for it.

Home Depot and Lowes have good products but not the best in the industry.

look for Wilsonart Estate, Pergo Select, Quickstep, Armstrong Laminates for life.

Old 08-14-04, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you want real wood, or the fake looking laminate planks?

You speak as if it is just a slap it on the floor and be done, type of job. When you see the cost of the complete installation, your not going to want to spend that money again, next year for the same area getting another flooring, because the first one failed miserably.

The click lock wood floors sold at HD, are pure junk. They have a MDF core that fails easily.

Kahrs real wood with the T&G locking, is an excellent floating floor.

Mannington has always been top notch.

Old 08-14-04, 06:15 PM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Question we have concrete subfloor

we have a concrete subfloor in both rooms on ground level. Should we use the floating floor method instead of the glue down?

We have the Pergo in our den with the floating floor and I love it. However, my husband wants the real wood instead of laminated. I don't. Which is better on concrete?

Thanks.

Old 08-14-04, 06:19 PM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Cool Bruce Natural Reflections

What about the Bruce Nautral Reflections glued to the concrete floor? Would this product work in Austin, Texas...

Old 08-15-04, 06:43 PM
Natural Reflections is a solid wood.

If you gluedown a vinyl floor and then glue the Natural Reflections down to it as Bruce recommends, you will be ok. But plan on the expense of the vinyl installation complete with seam sealer and then the cost of the wood installation. Too much moisture vapors(vapors are invisable) coming from concrete for it. Cupping will occur, from slightly to massive.

I personally, would not glue a solid wood down to the concrete, in Austin Texas.

I will glue an engineered cross-ply though, if the concrete moisture vapor emissions are low enough.

Buy a nice Mannington wood floor, on-line and be done with it. You can't go wrong with Mannington. I would steer clear of the budget wood floors.

Old 08-15-04, 07:02 PM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Mannington Wood - Which one?

Which one would you purchase?

Old 08-15-04, 07:29 PM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: