semi-gloss over gloss finish?

Old 09-24-04, 11:56 AM
AndrewInSeattle
Visiting Guest
semi-gloss over gloss finish?

Hi,

I've refinished the oak hardwood floors in my 1926 house recently, and am now in the process of applying oil-based poly. I've put down 2 coats already, and will be doing the 3rd tonight. I've chosen a gloss finish, but now I'm not too sure if I like it. Is it possible (using the same brand, type, etc...) to put the final coat down using semi-gloss, even if the first 2 are gloss? Will it look funny? Will there even be a difference?

Finally, I had thought gloss was the most common finish used for floors, but after seeing it, I'm thinking it might actually be semi-gloss. How common is it to use gloss on floors? Am I being overly picky?

Thanks for the help!

Andrew

Old 09-25-04, 05:43 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Screen the floor vac and tac and apply your semi gloss but i would recomend that you do two coats of the semi. If the floor is not properly preped for your final coat you could have adhesion problems. This would be accented by the gloss underneath.

Phil

Old 10-06-04, 11:08 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Actually I'm pretty sure something like 90% of floors are done with satin finish. Very rarely are floors done with full gloss - high traffic areas will become dull very quickly. Gloss would be a good choice for those museum homes where they have the floor roped off . Even semi gloss would not be a good choice for households with children or pets.

I actually thought I saw someone recommend that the first coat or two be gloss and the last one or two be semi gloss or satin because the finish would appear "clearer" but this may be hogwash. You might get some weird wear patterns.

Old 10-06-04, 11:51 AM
tim_gardner
Visiting Guest
You can't be too picky with your own home. You should have what you want since you will see it much more than anyone else will.

I agree with you about glossy floors. I would go with less gloss - in fact, we are. We're getting ready for the hardwood floors in our new construction and we'll go with satin. To me the glossy floors lose the look of real wood.

Just one opinion...

Old 10-08-04, 04:28 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Gloss has the highest content of solids making it the hardest finish, Semi has less and satin close to none. If satin is used for final coat it will not wear as long as a semi. Gloss shows scratches more than any other. Satin gives the floor a dull need to be cleaned look. Semi in my opinion is the way to go every floor we do is semi unless requested otherwise by the home owner. 8 years of sand and finish work can't be wrong.

Phil

Old 10-16-04, 04:19 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Semi gloss finish

Semi is the way to go. High gloss shows scratches more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: