Hardwood pricing

Old 10-06-04, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood pricing

Hi all,

I've finished some areas of my floor with hardwood tongue & groove, and I'm thinking of finishing the entire floor with it instead of putting down carpet.

The problem I have is the sheer cost of the hardwood. I have bought it Home Depot in the past for $88 for a box that covers only 20 sq ft. Is there any way I can get this stuff cheaper?

Chris

Old 10-06-04, 11:38 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hardwood Pricing

For first quality, pre-finished hardwood flooring the price you paid sounds reasonable.

Old 10-06-04, 12:01 PM
Ok, thanks. Decision time, I guess.

Chris

Old 10-09-04, 07:37 PM
Hi again,

Well, I decided on hardwood. Found something a little different, though. Some thinner hardwood that was nearly half the price, same warranty, and good quality from what I saw.

Reducued the floor, installed it (God, that was painstaking), and am all done. Looks great, feels good, and now I move on to other projects!

Chris

Old 10-11-04, 06:08 AM
What concerns me about your post, is the dates in which you posted asking for wood flooring information, and 3 days later you post saying it is installed.

What was the moisture content of the hardwood and what was the moisture content of the subfloor you installed over, along with the temperature & humidity inside the installation area???

I hope you didn't bring it right home and slap it on the subfloor that day!!!!!
You could have sent me the cash invested, instead of throwing it out of the window.

Old 10-11-04, 08:30 AM
No worries, mate. The directions called for the new hardwood planking to be in the room adapting to it's new setting for 48 hours, which it did. We installed it in a few hours.

http://www.bartlett-family.net/hardwood.html has some pics. Turned out great!

Chris

Old 10-11-04, 08:32 AM
BTW, I know it seemed fast, but that's the way I do things in life. I don't waste time thinking things over and over and over again, only to do it and think more later. I make a decision, do it, and live with it unless it's completely horrible. Anything short of that horror is a done deal.

Chris

Old 10-16-04, 02:16 PM
T
Wood floor installation

Was this solid or engineered wood product? Some of those engineered products can not be sanded and refinished.

Thanks for the photos. I especially like the last one. The job was complete and you kicked off your shoes and went to bed exhausted. I assume. The floor looks great. Wow! What an improvement!

Did you leave an expansion gap. I couldn't tell from the photos.

Old 10-17-04, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by twelvepole
Was this solid or engineered wood product? Some of those engineered products can not be sanded and refinished.
Don't know, tell you the truth. It was TrafficMaster from, um, some company. I forget, but will look.

Thanks for the photos. I especially like the last one. The job was complete and you kicked off your shoes and went to bed exhausted. I assume. The floor looks great. Wow! What an improvement!
Big improvement, yup. Thanks, TP. Unfortunaly, no kicking off of shoes, though. One project over, another begins. Still need to add a dormer, carpet, walls, a ceiling, and a million other things.

Did you leave an expansion gap. I couldn't tell from the photos.
Huh? What's that?

Chris

Old 10-17-04, 10:45 AM
T
Hardwood

I checked on Traffic Master. Is it wood? They say it is a laminate product. Expansion gap is the gap between flooring and wall.

Old 10-17-04, 05:07 PM
It is definitely hardwood. At least... It says that right on the packaging. It damn well better be hardwood.

There is little or no gap between the floor and the wall anywhere. No need, it's wall to wall, covered by the base trim where it doesn't butt right up.

Chris

Old 10-19-04, 02:18 PM
I checked on Traffic Master. Is it wood? They say it is a laminate product.
Just checked for certain. Yes, it is hardwood. It is "Legacy Glueless Hardwood Flooring" to be exact.

Chris

Old 10-20-04, 10:42 AM
looks great, WB!! so, was it nailed down or just floated? did it have a tongue & groove click-together system?

and no underlayment or barrier of any kind was needed? just slapped it down right over that <lovely> subfloor, huh?

we laid TrafficMaster laminate in our kitchen & dining room. our boxes looked just like yours - hope yours really was hardwood!

Old 10-20-04, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
looks great, WB!!
Thanks!

o, was it nailed down or just floated? did it have a tongue & groove click-together system?
Yup, T&G click system, just laid down. No glue, no nothing. Solid as a rock, too, which I was suspicious of.

and no underlayment or barrier of any kind was needed? just slapped it down right over that <lovely> subfloor, huh?
Nope, no underlayment or anything. I just laid it down right on top of the plywood.

we laid TrafficMaster laminate in our kitchen & dining room. our boxes looked just like yours - hope yours really was hardwood!
Yup, definitely HW here.

Chris

Old 10-20-04, 11:07 AM
Question just curious & wanting to learn

hmmmm.....i wonder why with the laminate, you have to use an underlayment, but with hardwood, you don't???

also, with a floating laminate, you must leave an expansion gap. doesn't the same go for a floating real wood floor? real wood expands & contracts, doesn't it? then again, how could you ever nail down real wood???

not doubting you, WB, or trying to stir up a hornet's nest or anything. i'm really just curious. can someone explain it to me?

Old 10-20-04, 11:46 AM
Feel free to dounbt me, Annette. I'm a computer/web guy, not a floor guy. I am aware that wood expands and contracts, and I too find it odd that they mentioned nothing of underlayment, expansion gaps or the like in the installation instructions.

I just snapped the pieces together, laid 'em down, and took pics. That was it. Perhaps I did it "right", perhaps I did it "wrong", but it's done, looks good, and will hopefully last.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 10-20-04, 12:09 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Wow, well I must say this is totally new in floor covering at least in the last 8 years I have been doing it.
Hardwood does expand and contract....ALL of them. expansion is manditory, so I am suprised it was not noted.
And a pad is needed big time or yopu will have problems MAYBE with level problems. And you may have issues with squeaking as well. Think of it this way, when you rub 2 sticks together what happens? well, you won't have a fire issue, but wood to wood can create problems, so pad helps with it.
Even 3/4 solid hardwood needs a barrier between the wood and the subfloor.

I hope this is a revolutionary product though. I am interested in seeing what all the hubbub is.

Old 10-20-04, 12:24 PM
Wink

There is little or no gap between the floor and the wall anywhere. No need, it's wall to wall, covered by the base trim where it doesn't butt right up.

yikes!!!

well, the good news is, with these click-together systems, when & if your floor starts to squeak & buckle because it's got no space to expand, you'll be able to easily disassemble it, lay down some underlayment, shave off 1/4" from the end planks & reassemble it! and only in a few hours!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: