What type of wood???

Old 10-06-04, 10:44 AM
tim_gardner
Visiting Guest
What type of wood???

We are building a new house that will have a lot of wood flooring - living room, study, dining room, two staircases, upstairs hallway, upstairs bedroom... The builder is about ready to deliver material - 3/4" T&G. We will probably go with a light to medium stain.

He bid the floors with red oak, but I'm wondering what my options are for something that will not be more expensive and something that will best accommodate the stain color.

Is white oak a better choice because of color, and is it comparably priced? How about clear pine? Seems like it should be cheaper than oak. He is able to get teak at a decent price, but it is higher than oak and we're over budget everywhere.

Any opinion would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-04, 04:02 PM
I would get samples of each and stain/finish them. Remember that they will darken a fair amount over time. If your installer is really on the ball he would already have the samples.

Old 10-09-04, 01:22 PM
What type of wood

Red and white oak are usually comparably priced. Other wood species tend to be more expensive. Pine tends to be a soft wood.

Once stained it is usually difficult to tell whether it is red or white oak. White oak is a little harder and denser than red oak. As suggested, stain and finish some samples to help you decide which wood and stain. Or, visit local hardwood flooring showrooms and look at both red and white oak and the different colors of stains.