laminate or hardwood?

Old 10-20-04, 06:03 PM
jasonrn
Visiting Guest
laminate or hardwood?

I have old hard wood floors in every room but the bathroom that squeek terrible. The planks actually move up/down in some areas. I cannot get to the joists. I've been told refinishing will not solve the problem unless I want fill holes everywhere.

Laminate or pre-finished HW?? My delema is that I have a slpit level home, the upstairs hallway has a section with a banister overlooking the family room, so I don't know how to "Float" the floor here and have it look good.

Can one of these be installed without the perimiter gap for movement?

Jay

Old 10-21-04, 09:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Laminate or hardwood

No product will resolve your subfloor issues. Subfloor joists should have been installed on a minimum ofg 16" centers. Anything wider can present problems. Subflooring should have been screwed, not nailed, down to prevent backing out of nails that can result in sublfloor movement. If you cannot access subfloor from underneath to address stability issues, then it may be necessary, if screwing down subfloor will not correct problems, to rip out subfloor and address distance and support issues. Covering up problems with floating or solid hardwood flooring will not address structural issues.
Balcony issues overlooking area below will require stairnosing to cover edge. Balusters and bannisters should be installed on floor and not stairnose to ensure stability. This is extremely important.

All hardwood flooring products must be installed with gap for expansion. Wood tends to expand and contract due to temp and humidity fluctuations. Keeping HVAC up and running is crucial. Keeping temp at about 70 degrees a=

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: