Squaring up boards??

Old 10-23-04, 09:17 AM
lgb0250
Visiting Guest
Squaring up boards??

I started laying my hardwood in the dining room and made sure it was square to the wall I started on. Now I have moved from the dining room into the kitchen and it looks like I'm at least 3/4" off from one end to the other!!! Most of the out of square part will really be hidden but when I get to the doorway out to the hall where I am going to continue the run it will probably look terrible. Is there anyway to save this installation or is it just going to look bad and nothing can be done?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-04, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Out of square wood floor installation

If you were leaving 3/4" expansion gap and you are 3/4" out of square, then does that mean you have a gap along one wall that is 1 1/2". If so, rip boards to fill gap along wall, still allowing for expansion gap. At door way do the same to square the doorway, leave a 3/4" expansion gap and drop in a T-mold. Then run it into hallway.

Go to www.nofma.org for installation tips and how to get started with installation so you can keep it square.

Old 10-25-04, 11:08 PM
lgb,
have you yet measured from the entry way to the kitchen to the entry way of the hall to determine whether the floor will be off and how much if it is off?...

What is the width of the entry into the kitchen from the dining area and the width of the entry into the hall from the kitchen?

Old 10-28-04, 07:45 PM
lgb0250
Visiting Guest
Not much to be done for the dining room or kitchen at this point in time. I'm at the entry way from the kitchen back out into the hall which ends at the front door. The entry way into the kitchen is 30" wide and I am exactly 1/2" off door jamb to door jamb.

Old 11-01-04, 11:00 AM
1/2" is much better than 3/4"

One solution to turn the floor is ripping the boards the amount of the door way width on two rows from 0 to 1/4" from jam to jam...(not 0 to 1/4 over the length of the floor which will amount to less than 1/4 turn at the door...)
The last row in the kitchen and the first row going through the door way....once you hit the hall, the boards will be parrellell....

rip the tongue side of the last row in the kithen and the groove side of the first board through the door way..