Refinishing Hardwood Floor

Old 10-24-04, 11:07 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Hardwood Floor

Not sure if this is right forum, but what the heck...

I have a living room/dining room area with a nice 60's hardwood floor. It's in pretty good shape really, it's been covered with carpet most of the time. I DO NOT think it's necessary nor do I want to sand the whole thing down, but I would like to just lightly remove the old finish, then restain and revarnish.

Any suggestions about how I would do this? Thanks!

Old 10-24-04, 07:48 PM
There is a forum in the Decorate part of this website entitled "wood floors, laminate, subflooring" You may want to post your question there as well.

I think if you want to restain the wood, your going to need to sand it down to bare wood again, then stain and cover with polyurethane or varnish. If the color is intact, but you need to get rid of minor scratches, then you can rent a floor sander with a "screen" instead of sandpaper to get rid of the scratches and then apply a coat of urethane. Of course you can always touch up small spots with stain or even fill holes with putty (in the right color) before applying the final coat.

I'm a woodworker, not really a floor guy, so please get another opinoin in the other forum before going ahead with this advice.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-04, 11:49 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finishing wood floor

This post has been moved to the Wood Floors Forum for discussion.

Old 10-25-04, 07:54 AM
The biggest problem with restoring a hardwood floor that was carpeted is dealing with the thousands of holes left from the pad staples. You really should do a complete refinishing job (sand, fill, stain and finish)

Old 10-25-04, 08:41 PM
T
Floor refinishing

For instructions to refinish hardwood flooring, go to the National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Association website at www.nofma.org

Old 10-27-04, 02:21 PM
O
Thanks for the replies...

I'm not sure what a "screen" on a floor sander is?

Old 10-28-04, 02:30 PM
HAPYMUDY
Visiting Guest
Oldberkeley:

I found a similar floor under a very badly stained berber carpet -- it was 3/4" oak pegged with black walnet pegs, stained a very dark color. I have done it a few times before, but you will find refinishing is very rewarding. Don't be afraid to sand it and refinish. You will be proud of your "brand new" floor and that you did it for less than $150 with rental AND supplies.

1. Rent a floor orbital sander, versus a drum sander. This sander literally produces less dust than if you swept your floor, will not gouge the floor and is extremely easy to use. Go ahead and sand it yourself! Start with 40 grit and work your way up to 120 grit. It was actually fun to sand the floor with the orbital sander -- I have used the drum sander before and was amazed at the better results. The floor sanded beautifully -- back to the natural oak color. Don't bother with another smaller sander for the corners, just cut some of the sandpaper you are using for the machine and clean them out by hand. The sander gets amazingly close to edges. Trust me when I say that sanding by hand in corners to remove the finish is much easier than it sounds. Definitely try it -- make or buy a sanding block and spend the 20 minutes to get the corners cleaned up.
2. Get some oil based polyurethane and brush it on with a lambs wool applicator. The floor will look absolutely brand new after you put a few coats on it.

Refinishing the floor is one of the most rewarding things I've done with my new (1960s) house. You can easily sand the floor, sweep/vacuum it and wipe it down with mineral spirts and a t-shirt in less than four hours. Put on your poly and enjoy!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: