Reclaimed maple flooring

Old 10-31-04, 06:49 PM
timmyb74
Visiting Guest
Reclaimed maple flooring

I have removed some maple flooring from an old schoolhouse built in 1927. It has several layers of old finish that had been applied over the years. The flooring is 2 1/4 by 3/4 tongue and groove. Some of the grooves and tongues are caked with a mixture of dirt and floor finish. My intention is to use this flooring in a new kitchen I am currently having added to my 100 year old farm house. My question is what is the best method of removing the old finish and also what is the best way to clean the tongue and grooves to get a good fit when installing the floor? Is there a bit for a router that would work to clean and "square up" the grooves and tongues? I have tested Zip Strip on a few pieces with mixed results. That is, it eventually removes the layers of finish and does a decent job on the caked in dirt/finish combination, but the scraping away of the old finish in the tongue and grooves leaves also lends itself to poor fitting of the joint. Any suggestions?

Old 11-01-04, 05:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello, I have reused old flooring before and the best way I found to clean the tongue and grooves was an old wood chisel and some old fashioned elbow grease to go along with the old fashioned floor. I've tried to "dress" some before and it didn't work that well.......... As far as removing the finish, I wouldn't be bothered with strippers and such, thats what that 24 or 36 grit paper on your drum sander is for, to clean that stuff off in a hurry.........Stay tuned there may be other replies forthcoming. Good Luck.

Old 11-04-04, 12:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You might be best off checking with a millworks in your area. I make reclaimed flooring product as a sideline job. I run it all through a moulder and re-cut the tongue and groove, top and bottom, all in one pass. Then, each piece is exact dimension and the floor is as easy to install as a new one. You will definitely have to make sure all metal is removed. This will cost a little, but not near as much as buying new flooring, and will save you money if you consider your time. The dimensions of the floor would only have to change slightly, like 2 1/8" X 11/16"

Old 11-05-04, 06:00 PM
timmyb74
Visiting Guest
Once I install the floor and sand it, will I be able to stain the maple floor to a darker color? I have heard that staining hardwod maple doesn't always bring good results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: